Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th London Regiment in Gallipoli

zeplin34

Hello.

I would appreciate if anyone can give guidance to help me piece together my grandfathers service in WW1. I have been told by family members that he joined 10th London regiment and spent time in Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine. During this time he received a shrapnel wound to the forehead. Spent time guarding Turkish POW at the end of the war, before being demobed spent time in Turkey close to Galata bridge.

I am trying to find out what conflicts & battles the regiment and himself were engaged in. I cannot find service or medal cards, but have these 3 photos of him and the following certificates, which I am having difficulty understanding.

post-113488-0-92403400-1407650573_thumb.post-113488-0-07126000-1407650739_thumb.post-113488-0-17521400-1407650894_thumb.

1. BSF ZB. regiment number: 047310. Unit: ROAC. Dated: 01.01.1920

2. Protection & Identity. Unit: 62 Brg. regiment number: 047310. Theatre of war: ABS. Born: 1899. Dated: 14.02.1920.

3. Army form Z 21. Transfer to reserve. Transfer to reserve attested 01.01.1917, mobilised 05/02/1918 for London regiment also served in ROAC.

His name was Ernest Warne & survived the war.

Can any one help please, many thanks.

Zeplin34,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly to help with your search answering the questions below could help with looking for information.

The number supplied has not turned up anything as yet, would it be possible for you to scan one of the certificates? Original information can help with searching, without realising it, it is possible to misread something and continue to read it that way on other documents. I know I have done it myself, realised on Wednesday that a man I had placed in the 2nd Queens for 3 years was in fact in the 1st Queens.

Also, could you please let me know the name of Ernest's father and or his wife at the time of his enlistment? Did Ernest have a middle name?

This will allow narrowing down options whilst looking through the forms/paperwork.

Mark

Edit: Idiot (me), misread the original post.

Hello Mark.

Thank you for your interest and help with this.

Ernest middle name was William and his fathers name was Alfred Charles Warne.

I hope the documents are clear enoughpost-113488-0-69956500-1407659861_thumb.post-113488-0-94328200-1407660255_thumb.

Thanks for posting the images. It is always less confusing to be able to see the original documentation, however, I have not been able to find anything in the documents about Ernest. I have searched Ancestry, FindMyPast, TheGenealogist and the Forces War Records sites for any possible information.

It is possible that his records were destroyed during the blitz, but that would not explain no MIC. I have tried all sorts of spelling issues regarding Ernest's surname, and tried both of his service numbers when searching, I do however have one suggestion. Although he was demobbed prior to January 1921, I am wondering if his records are still with the MOD. Information on obtaining records is here https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records, but I would try and ring them first to find out if they have anything, this has worked for people on other forums of which I am a member.

Another option is to contact the RLC Museum http://www.rlcmuseum.co.uk/docs/history.html, they may be able to help you with guiding information regarding Ernest's service in the RAOC.

Sorry I have been unable to help you further.

Good luck with your research and I would like to hear how you get on.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

I will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Just one more thing, looking at his uniforms am I correct in thinking he was in the 10th London regiment?

Thanks again.

I am not able to pick units from uniforms and badges unless they are very clear or well known to me. So I cannot say which Battalion he was a member of, I rely on records rather than looking at the photos as I have been lucky enough with my family and those I research to have records for them.

Perhaps reposting a request asking to which Battalion the uniform pertains, in another specific thread, will give you the answer you seek.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hello Mark.

I contacted the MOD, who told me they held no records of ernest, and suggested I visit National archives, this I plan to do soon. The ric museum have not replied to letters or emails. So hopefully I will find something at National Achives.

I cannot under stand why he cannot be identified by his service number. I have spent many hours trawling the internet but can find nothing. This is a bit of a mystery

I will let you know how I get on in Kew.

Could I ask, Do you know what the army form BSF Z3 was used for.

Many thanks.

Mark.