Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres advice wanted

stu

I'm going to be in Ypres next week for the first time,unfortunately,it is going to be a very short visit,probably only for a morning.

Can anyone please give me advice as what is best to see/visit in such a short time,I would also be grateful for parking advice and maybe someone would be kind enough to post a town plan,and recommend a good restaurant/cafe for an early lunch.

Many thanks.

Stu

If you have only such a short time in Ypres, just stand in Cloth Square when you got there, and close your eyes and imagine......

Lindsey

PS. St Georges Chapel is good to visit. Its central as is the Cloth Hall. I dont know about parking as we went with a coach tour and they seemed to have some permit to park centrally.

Stu.

Given the short amount of time I would:-

1. Park in the Grote Markt (town square) - it is pay and display.

2. Walk to the Menin Gate.

3. Walk around the ramparts to the Lille Gate and the cemetery there (one of my favourites).

4. Walk back to the Grote Markt and visit St Georges Chapel as Lindsey suggests.

The In Flanders Field Museum in the Cloth Hall is good. It is a while since I have been there and cannot remember how long it takes to get round but you would need probably 1.5-2 hours for that.

Whereyou eat depends largely on the wether. If it is sunny I would chose a place on the west side of the Grote Markt. If it is wet I would go for Cyper on the east side.

Don't forget to buy your chocolates as well.

A map of the town can be found on the Ieper website.

Have a good trip.

Neil

Hi Stu,

Have peek about my website you will see pictures etc and links for around the area.

Unfortunately I am somewhat behind posting more photos this year but certainly if you only have the day in my opinion the In Flanders Fields museum will take up the majority so unless your group is all for museums it may be worth doing the smaller but superb Ramparts Museum instead (head for Lille Gate) and the ramparts cemetery (beautiful location), a walk about the ramparts, Menin Gate and mooch about the Grote Markt & St Georges as suggested by others taking in the sights and chocolates...

Cheers

Ryan

Many thanks to you all for the advice.

I've just arrived back,although we didn't have long there,we went to the Flanders Field museum,the Menin Gate and the Ramparts cemetery.I was very impressed with the place,I just wish I had longer there.

I was disapointed that the Shell Hole was closed,I was really looking forward to going in there,hopefully it will be open on my next visit which I hope will be next spring.

Ypres is a nice little town,its hard to believe what it went through,the Belgians did a great job of restoring it.

Stu