Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Exercises

HERITAGE PLUS

The Battalion Diary of the 1st Wiltshire records that on 26 October 1915, whilst out of the line, the Batt; undertook bayonet exercises. What would these exercises have consisted of?

Dave

Apart from fixing the bayonet, it would comprise the offensive role including the thrust into straw bags either suspended by rope or on the ground and the defensive role parrying a enemy bayonet or sword thrust, all usually carried out by an enthusiastic sergeant shouting grisly advice as to depth of blade, location of fatal or disabling wounds describing anatomical locations etc.

khaki

I recall that there is a discription of instruction by such a sergeant in 'Goodbye to all That', Graves or 'Memoirs of an Infantry Officer' Sasoon.

Old Tom

These images of the 2/5th KOYLI taken in UK 1915 and captioned by my Grandfather as C Coy. at Bayonet Exercise. I wonder what the difference is between bayonet exercise and drill. Perhaps the caption is wrong but it's always intrigued me as to why the man on the podium who may be in civvies appears to be about to shoot himself in one image and holding the rifle by the muzzle in another, presumably without bayonet!!

TEW

029.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

Drill or parade ground drill is designed to instill discipline of movement and immediate response to orders of command. This can be with or without arms.

khaki

Thanks Guys.

From trolling through a good many War Diaries I conclude that when out of the line and not on the move, most battalions included a short (say twenty minutes!) of "bayonet fighting" in the daily routine. Because they usually did not have access to a proper range with the straw dummies and whatnot the drill must have been similar to that pictured in #7 above.

A newsreel version of this can be found at the National Film Board site here:

http://www3.nfb.ca/includes/player/player_full.php?_onfplr_sel=viewfull&film=id=531245&formats=default&speeds=default&use_cc=no&use_dv=no&f=flash&t=normal&s=hv&pm=rtmp%3A%2F%2Fflash.nfb.ca%2FWW1%2Ffilms%2Fhv%2F52410.flv&w=640&h=512&c=http%3A%2F%2Fwww3.onf.ca%2Fenclasse%2Fgrandeguerre%2Ffr%2Fplayer%2Fplayer.css&pp=http%3A%2F%2Fwww3.onf.ca%2Fenclasse%2Fgrandeguerre%2Ffr%2Fplayer%2Fplayer_full.swf&cn=grandeguerre&ct=2500000&ttl=Images+d%27une+guerre+oubli%E9e&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww3.nfb.ca%2Fincludes%2Fplayer%2F&lg=fr&ss=&pmvroot=%2Fvar%2Fnfb%2Fapache%2Fhtdocs%2Fphplib%2F&pmvurl=grandeguerre%2F&pmvsid=%2Fstats%2F&pmvpage=17&pmvglob=1

En Garde!

Sepoy, lovely photo of the Magazine Lee Metford rifles in their original format, all fitted with the Patt.88 bayonets safely ensconced in their scabbards.

Are you certain this is a wartime photo as it kind of looks pre-war with the older model rifles.?? Either that or it's very early days at home "in training".?

Anyway thanks for posting such a clear image of the weaponry.

Cheers, S>S

Fine pictures! Interesting to note the soldier with his braces hanging down. I recall, in the 50's, bayonet drill with the No 4 and spike bayonet coming to the 'on guard' position from 'at ease' and getting the bayonet caught in the braces. I recall scratching my face. Clearly I was not cut out to be an infantryman.

I think that the photographs shows men training during the earlier part of WW1, probably 1915. I think the photo is dated by the soldiers hair styles, ie almost shaven except for a tuft of hair at the front, so it can be seen under the peaks of their caps.

I also like the chap (in first photo) who has his braces down with at least two cap badges on his belt - Hampshire Regiment and Manchester Regiment (Tram Conductors type)

Sepoy

Nb I do not think it is unusual for soldiers to go through their initial training with older pattern rifles. I can remember seeing Paratroopers in the Aldershot area running about with No4 Rifles just prior to their move to Colchester in the early 2000s

En Garde!

Thanks for sharing Sepoy! A really great photograph! Do you know which unit? Territorial perhaps, given the souvenir badges worn by the one chap?

Many thanks for all the posts - much appreciated and very helpful.

Dave

Thanks for sharing Sepoy! A really great photograph! Do you know which unit? Territorial perhaps, given the souvenir badges worn by the one chap?

Unfortunately, Trajan, I have no idea what Regiment these men were serving in. There is nothing obvious to point them out as Territorial's - they could be Kitchener's Army....

Sepoy

Hi

There are different types of bayonet fighting techniques of the tip including the use of the short and long point etc depending on the type of target, proximity, on foot or horse.

Dave

Unfortunately, Trajan, I have no idea what Regiment these men were serving in. There is nothing obvious to point them out as Territorial's - they could be Kitchener's Army....

They appear to be Canadian - the Sergeant instructing them is wearing the distinctive 7-button SD jacket used in the pre- and early-war period:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/ceft01.htm

They appear to be Canadian - the Sergeant instructing them is wearing the distinctive 7-button SD jacket used in the pre- and early-war period:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/ceft01.htm

Well spotted Andrew

If they are all Canadian, it must have been taken this side of the Atlantic for a soldier to be able to acquire the British cap badges on his belt.

It could be a case that the PTI Sergeant training the men is the only Canadian present - there are no other obvious indications that the men are Canadian ie like Ross Rifles etc

Sepoy

Hi,

Have a copy of the War Office Infantry Training (4- company Organisation) 1914, This devotes 15 pages divided into eight lessons on bayonet fighting.

It begins ominously,

' A bayonet charge will normally be delivered in lines, possibly many deep, against a defending force also in lines, over rough ground which may be covered in obstacles. Single combat will therefore be the exception, while fighting in mass will be the rule. This will make manoeuvring for an opening impossible.'

Interestingly, there are no group lessons - they consist of an instructor and no more than 2 pupils.

At the end of the lessons it states,' Company officers are responsible for the training of their men in bayonet fighting. They must therefore be efficient instructors.' It goes on to state that ' NCO's in possession of gymnastic certificates will be made use of to assist in instructing young officers and NCO's.' The lessons finish by stating that, ' the trained soldier will go through a short annual refresher course on bayonet fighting.'

Hope this helps. - And not a word about Health and Safety!

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Hope this helps. - And not a word about Health and Safety!

Certainly interesting! As for the elves and selfies, I guess they were there - that's why they kept the scabbards on...

Well spotted Andrew

If they are all Canadian, it must have been taken this side of the Atlantic for a soldier to be able to acquire the British cap badges on his belt.

It could be a case that the PTI Sergeant training the men is the only Canadian present - there are no other obvious indications that the men are Canadian ie like Ross Rifles etc

Sepoy

There remains the possibility of course that this is just one of those early 'badge collectors', those guys who collected badges from units they served alongside (rather like one of my two former copper brothers has a massive collection of police hats and helmets!). BUT, that would then make this guy somebody who had already seen service. Note, incidentally, that he and the other braces chap both have a pretty professional stance compared to the rest.