Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Percival Jeffery Robinson

Biggu

Hi guys, and gals..... bear with me a little bit here, I am very new. I am trying my utmost to see if I can find a long, very long, lost grand father. His name is Percival ( Percy) Jeffery Robinson, as far as I am aware these are the basic facts as I know them so far.... He was born Setember 30 , 1892 in Hull, Yorkshire. He lived at 113 Ella st. in Hull. It is beleived as MY father ( 92) has told me that Percy was in the Royal Artillery, and it is also believed he was a Sargent, possibly the Batallion Quarter Master Sargent. I beleive that it is possible that he answered to the roll of RFA/ 132 BTF ( ?) and it is possible his Regimental number could be either 2559 or 770828. I also know that he worked for Joseph Rank Flour Mills in Hull prior to and after the war, he also retained residece at 113 Ella Street in Hull after the war as well. NOW.... I know that is little or no information to go on, but it is all I have, I am desperately searching for his trail as he disapeared from his home in 1929 never to heard of by his immediate family ever again....... guys , I klnow this is a shot in the dark, but if anyone could point me in a direction for his Military records I would be foreve grateful. I seem to be running into a brick wall when it comes to his Military service....I also know there are a couple million Percy Robinsons out there and it would be easier if his name was "Shlelmo Glickstien" but I am hopeful. If anyone can point me in a direction.....

Biggu

Welcome to the Forum !

So you have seen a Medal Index Card with these details on it ? A card for a Battery QMS Percival J Robinson,with 2 service numbers 2559 and 770828,with an entry into a war zone after 31.12.1915 by implication,and with the Territorial Force Artillery confirms your facts.

There is also a pencilled date of 5.11.58 on the card,does this have a meaning for you,perhaps fits with an event concerning Percival ? Your ref RFA/132BTF/647 refers to the original Medal Roll which is at the National Archives in Kew,unfortunately RFA Rolls don't show the unit he served on first landing at war,as Infantry ones do,and there is normally no details other than the MIC to help you. Here the Roll detail:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4435275

There is little else to find in either the Service or Pension Records Section,so it might be difficult to find what he did on active service,unless you can find an Absent Voters List for 1918 for Hull,which might show his unit.

Hey "Old Sweats' many thanks, this is a monumental task living here in Canada. I am so much relying on folks like yourself to help with the deciphering of information and pointing in directions I need to go.... I would so much like to find out more, and will follow up on your lead....at this time I do believe that the information I have at hand is in fact him, although there are many Percy Robinsons.....and it seems most avenues I try don't work out well due to the bombing during the second war and the fires..... Thanks to you, I now have a couple more places to look and do know a little more about the RFA. ( I'm an Airforce guy) thanks, ...cheers Biggu.................... absent voters list?? hhhmmmmm

Hi Biggu,

You have the right Percival, he did indeed live at 113 Ella Street and served with the 63rd ( Royal Navy) Divisional Ammunition Column Royal Field Artillery and his number was 770825. He was re-numbered from 2559 to 770825 in 1917 as part of the 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column Northumberland Royal Field Artillery which was based at Wenlock Barracks Anlaby Road Hull.

He is ranked as a Lance Bombardier on the Hull Absent Voters List.

Where the 63rd Division went after 1 January 1916 he went.

Regards Charles

Thanks , you guys are the best !! I tried hunting for an absent voters list , but as I am new to all this I couldn't seem to find one....you guys have given me more in form ationin a few days than I could glean in 20 years ! So, am I to assume he was listed as a Lance Bombardier , then possibly ( obviously) promoted to Sargent? I'm finding this a trifle confusing, BUT bear with me, so do I have this correct,with the re-numbering part, he must have been transferred to a different ammunition column within the RFA....correct? Also is it possible for me to serach out what war zone he may have been sent to? And I am some what curious as to the re-numbering of his Regimental Service number. We do something simular her ein Canada, for as my dad had a "R" infront of his number signifying overseas service , and my uncle had the same until he returned to canada after the war ( WWII) and his number went from an "R" to a "J".... this makes somethings confusing unless one is in the know as you guys sure are....

I can't thank you enough, Charles and Joeseph, this is so helpful, now I just have to see if I can discover discharge any wounds etc, and then find out what eventually became of him.....I sincerely hope I'm not asking too many silly questions, just that time is short for my dad to find out what happened,, Thanks fellows you are trully most helpful !!

Cheers for the moment

Jeff

I was going to add this this morning ! Your test is complete !

Joseph's post at #4 shows the Territorial Home unit (2DAC) which became 63 Division's Ammo Column,the war theatre unit.

My reference at #5 is for a downloadable War Diary which will give you the day to day activity of 63DAC. If you open the link it will lead you to buying the download.

I did just that, I bought the PDF and am printing it as we speak, also his name shows prominately in a number of places in the war diary... this is outstanding , I owe you a pint for this one, also is there a place I can trace his full militry records, medical etc, and find his Attestation papers?

I did just that, I bought the PDF and am printing it as we speak, also his name shows prominately in a number of places in the war diary... this is outstanding , I owe you a pint for this one, also is there a place I can trace his full militry records, medical etc, and find his Attestation papers?

No,I looked earlier and have just re-checked. His records seem likely to have been lost in a bombing in 1940 along with many others.

Awe, damn, Thanks for checking Charles, You sure did give me good stuff to look at....I have a few further questions, about a couple more family members on my wife's side, but I don't want to take advantage of your good nature.................all I would be wonderign is that if I could be pointed in some direction.....

Post what you will here,there are plenty of helpers !

Where did you get the incorrect address of "Charles" from ? !!

probably not paying attention?

It's Shlelmo.

haha...."Shlelmo"....... Thanks to you guys I am now pouring over almost 300 pages of hand written war diary for the 63rd....it is THE most fascinating thing I have ever seen. We printed the whole thing, and it paints a vivd picture of exactly how it really was, this is awesome.......LOTS to read, again, many thanks for pointing me in that direction....... I love it !!!

Next question....when and for what reason did the RFA change the regimental numbers from 4 digits to 6 dgits with completely new numbers? And how often were "Other Ranks" granted a leave...

Thanks billy got it now..... next question, does anyone know if there is a listing or register for winners of the Military Cross, I'm thinking lke the Victoria Cross register and the George Cross register? Apparently I have a great uncle who won the MC

• 7 years later...

H

Hi Biggu,

Percival Jeffery Robinson was my GG Uncle. I have done quite a lot of research in respect of the Robinson & Pope families, so it might be useful to discuss. I too had reached a dead-end  regarding what happened to Percival after he disappeared.

Kind regards

Nick