Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V and a butterfly - rifle manufacturer's logo?

redbarchetta

Just bought a nicely carved rifle butt. The metal butt plate has what I hope is a manufacturer's logo etched on, a swirly 'V' and a stylised butterfly. Not very 'arms manufacturer', I grant you, and it could be the logo of whoever carved the religious bearded head into the wood, but I would have thought they would have carved their logo/signature in the wood, rather than the butt plate.

Does anyone recognise it? The rifle butt is unmarked, just has its strap hanger and, towards where the rest of the rifle would have been, a section of machined criss-cross pattern grip begins on the surface.

Also, if anyone recognises what religion this chap might be, let me know - it looks a very familiar bit of headwear he has on, but looking through Google Images, I can't find anything similar...

Thanks, all.

James

post-2897-0-74096200-1407503310_thumb.jp

post-2897-0-57377600-1407503323_thumb.jp

Many of the older shotguns that I have seen have all sorts of stylised markings, similar to that. Manufactures and (more often) retailer generally have their names spelled out.

Some pictures of the complete buttstock may help ID is better.

My first impression is that the design is 'floral' not a butterfly, the bearded face could be anything from a self portrait to a mythical nordic hunter,, I get the impression that it is European.

khaki