Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Patrick Ward

xandra

I would be very thankful if some kind person could help me. I am researching my grand-uncle

Patrick Ward born 1896 in Maryborough Laois Ireland. He was a fmaous iRISH TENOR who took part in many concerts for the relief of injured troups after the war.His parents were Charles Ward and Bridget Shea , and he was a member of the Irish Guards. W.W.1

I have found two medla cards , one for a Patrick 10034, the second Patrick 8442

I am also looking for information on Private Michael Ward 4067 Connacht Rangers ,and Martin his brother who was either in the Connacht Rangers. or the Leinster Regiment and another brother Patrick .Parents Martin and Margaret Ward Ballinasloe. Martin snr. was also in the Connacht Rangers .

Thanking you in advance

Xandra.

Try a search for the Medal Index Cards for the last 2.

Michael Ward 3rd Connaught Rangers, entered France on 11 Sep 1914. Killed in Action 11 Nov 1914. From MIC.

From Ireland, Casualties of World War I, 1914 - 1922:

Ward, Michael. Reg No. 4067. Rank, Private, Connaught Rangers, 2nd Batt; killed in action, France, November 11, 1914; born Aughvale, Westport, Co. Mayo.

Edit: Clarification of source and addition of information.

Patrick Ward 8442 Irish Guards enlisted on 26.5.1915 and was discharged to wounds on 14.12.1918 aged 25 years and 8 months.

Patrick Ward 10034 Irish Guards enlisted 26.10.1915 and was discharged to wounds on 31.05.1917 aged 22 years and 7 months.

Neither Medal Card has any address information on the back.

Your Patrick born 3 Aug 1896 would have been old enough to fight (18) from Aug 1914. In terms of age of the two above 10034 fits the age the best even though it is not precisely accurate,but then ages and dates were never an exact science in those times !

There is an item on Ancestry UK about Patrick G Ward the tenor and his life in the USA later.

Once you have 5 posts you could send a Personal Message to a member here called Museum Tom who has a wide knowledge of Irish military personnel from WW1.

Dear Sir,

I would like to offer my sincere thanks for the information .We are hoping to put together a booklet on Patrick Gerald ,and I would be thankful if anything else comes up about him , that you could let me know.

Again sincere thanks,

Xandra

I have sent Museum Tom a message about your search.

Hello Xandra.

I need a little clarification from you first, if I may. Did any of the Wards die during the war?,which county were they born in, and where did they live during that period? Do you know any of their numbers? When I know this I will be in a better position to search available files.Please keep in mind I generally only have information on casualties.

Tom.

Dear Tom ,

Thank you so much for contacting me.

I am afraid I have very little information Private .Michael Ward Connacht Rangers was featured in a book recently GALWAY AND THE GREAT WAR by William Henry., he also gave an interview when he returned in 1914 to the Connacht Tribune in Galway city after he lost an eye in Ypres.

My grandfather (his brother) MARTIN born 1890 in Roscommon , and Patrick was born 1899 in Ballinasloe Galway ,the family by the 1911 Irish census lived in Ballinasloe . Address Ivers Lane parents Martin and Margaret Ward.

My grandfather told me that Patrick died in the war , that he and Mike survived. My grandfather married Agnes Ward ( SAME SURNAME) in 1911 shortly after the census , and I think they lived in Portlaoise ( Maryborough) as it was known at that time , in County Laois . This is why I am not sure of his regiment.His medals were stolen shortly after the died in the 70's .

Some family members say they were all three in the Connacht Rangers, my grandad was badly shell shocked and would never talk about the war.He suffered a great deal with nightmares and night rambling. .He gave a home to one of his comrades Patrick Kane .

I would be very thankful if you could help me, especially Patrick .

The other Patrick I am searching for was my grandmother's brother , from Portlaoise ( Maryborough) , His parents were Charles Ward and Bridget , his address was Lysters Lane. He was in the Irish Guards.He also survived.

Thank you so much ,

Xandra.

Hello Xandra.

There were two Patrick Wards from Galway in the Connaught Rangers died in WW1, one was from Kinvarra (No 8100);-and the other from Tuam (No10112).

Rank: Private Service No: 10112 Date of Death: 17/01/1917 Age: 22 Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers "A" Coy. 1st Bn. Panel Reference: Panel 40 and 64. Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL Additional Information: Son of Denis and M. A. Ward, of Barrack St., Tuam, Co. Galway.

and;

Rank: Private Service No: 8100 Date of Death: 26/08/1914 Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers 2nd Bn. Panel Reference: Memorial: LA FERTE-SOUS-JOUARRE MEMORIAL Additional Information: Brother of James Ward, of Kinvarra, Co. Galway.

Dear Tom ,

Thank you so much ,Patrick from Tuam was my other great grandmothers nephew ..As I say a lot of the west of Ireland Ward/Warde family in that era joined the army fought and died in W.W.1 , but to trace them is difficult.

I will get back to you again ,

My Most sincere Thanks ,

Xandra

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom ,

As a local group are seeking infro .on those from BALLINASLOE who died in W.W.I , They have on their site the following

Lance Cprl.Michael Shaughnessy 10823 died 1916 October 12th.Royal Irish Fusiliers. Thiepval pier and face 15a.

They have no age , or parents. If it is possible to find this , my grand-aunt was Catherine Shaughnessy Pipers Lane , husband John I am sure this is their son.

Thanking you .

Xandra .

• 6 years later...
On 07/08/2014 at 11:25, xandra said:

I would be very thankful if some kind person could help me. I am researching my grand-uncle

Patrick Ward born 1896 in Maryborough Laois Ireland. He was a fmaous iRISH TENOR who took part in many concerts for the relief of injured troups after the war.His parents were Charles Ward and Bridget Shea , and he was a member of the Irish Guards. W.W.1

I have found two medla cards , one for a Patrick 10034, the second Patrick 8442

I am also looking for information on Private Michael Ward 4067 Connacht Rangers ,and Martin his brother who was either in the Connacht Rangers. or the Leinster Regiment and another brother Patrick .Parents Martin and Margaret Ward Ballinasloe. Martin snr. was also in the Connacht Rangers .

Thanking you in advance

Xandra.

Xanda has not been on the forum since 2014. you could try a pm

• 11 months later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. I’ve removed your email address from your post.Spammers visit and harvest information like that. You can use (and I can see you have) private messages to contact people off forum.