Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/18727 George Thomas Vernon

pottertea

Could some kind person point me in the right direction to find war diary for my grand uncle George Thomas vernon who was in the C Battery 170th RFA he managed to get 2 DCM and a Croix de guerre (Belgium) I was just trying to find war diary that might help me tell the story of what battles he was in and what happened.

Any help would be of great use.

Kind Regards,
Tom.

post-59911-0-23077900-1407355359_thumb.j

Edited by pottertea

If it is available you may be able to download it from The National Archives site.

A google of his name or regiment and battalion may bring up something.

If it is available you may be able to download it from The National Archives site.

A google of his name or regiment and battalion may bring up something.

Thanks Johnboy

If it is downloadable, usual cost £3.30, read through it and come back with any questions.

It certainly is not the easiest. I'll see if I can do any better!

Do you know when he enlisted?

It certainly is not the easiest. I'll see if I can do any better!

Do you know when he enlisted?

13 05 1913 is when he enlisted

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res/3?_q=170%20royal%20field%20artillery&_col=2

Unfortunately the diary is broken down into many parts. If you know the dates that you are interested in then it would mean paying only for the ones you need.

Thanks you for the links

Kind Regards,

Tom.

I do have a copy of His WWI Service records, but I am never too sure what it all means, I have these 2 pages with dates on maybe they would help in working out what dates to look for in the diary.

post-59911-0-11474800-1407359697_thumb.j

Edited by pottertea

There is a good chance George is one of these men

attachicon.gifc battery.jpg

This is an excellent photo and was wondering do you have a larger file so that I can zoom in, I do have a photo of his brother Thomas Vernon and they do have a look that is recognizable.

You could download it and open in Pic and Fax viewer and zoom in?

Could you email it to me please and I will send you my pic of unknown soldiers linked to photos of the Vernon family photos

Best Regards,

Tom.

post-59911-0-58250600-1407369095_thumb.j

Edited by pottertea

PM your email.

Not sure if the picture you have posted is ww1. the shape of the collars does not look right to me, unless RFA had different uniforms. Concealed tunic buttons.

PM your email.

Not sure if the picture you have posted is ww1. the shape of the collars does not look right to me, unless RFA had different uniforms. Concealed tunic buttons.

Sent it

170 Brigade (CLXX) was originally 32 Division, but remained in the UK when the Division went to France and became part of 31 Divisional Artillery. After a brief stay in Egypt, 31 Division moved to France in March 1916. (All from the LLT)

The top page of your service record shows Home from 13.5.15 to 7.12.15 (i.e. from formation), then MEF from 8.12.15 to 9.3.16 (i.e. Egypt) and France from 10.3.16.

The full list of 170 Brigade diaries is here. If you are only interested in the period when he is likely to have been awarded the DCM, then /9 is probably the most relevant.

The Egypt diary (WO 95/4589) is not available for download yet.

Phil

Edit: Typo corrected

Edited by Phil Evans

170 Brigade (CLXX) was originally 32 Division, but remained in the UK when the Division went to France and became part of 31 Divisional Artillery. After a brief stay in Egypt, 31 Division moved to France in March 1916. (All from the LLT)

The top page of your service record shows Home from 4.5.15 to 7.12.15 (i.e. from formation), then MEF from 8.12.15 to 9.3.16 (i.e. Egypt) and France from 10.3.16.

The full list of 170 Brigade diaries is here. If you are only interested in the period when he is likely to have been awarded the DCM, then /9 is probably the most relevant.

Phil

The top page shows home from 13/5/15, his enlistment date.

The top page of your service record shows Home from 13.5.15 to 7.12.15 (i.e. from formation), then MEF from 8.12.15 to 9.3.16 (i.e. Egypt) and France from 10.3.16.

Phil

Edit: Typo corrected

Thanks Phil