Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langemark

BatterySergeantMajor

10th of November at 11.00 o'clock AM: Burial of 25 German soldiers at Langemark Cemetery with participation of German and Belgian Army detachements. If you want to ad an extra on your visit it is maybe an opportunity.

Erwin

Hello Erwin,

I have just been told that there will 31 soldiers reburied (none of them identified) on the 10th. Apparently there are 25 soldiers which have been found by the diggers and the other have been found in Wervik and Comines (I don't know by whom though).

Kind regards,

Charlotte

Well not exactly more info.

Sorry, Charlotte, your posting wasn't there yet before I wrote mine.

Aurel

Hi Charlotte and Aurel

It seems we will see each other there. If Charlotte wil recognise me this time ;) !

Erwin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Charlotte and Aurel

I do not know if you have been on the ceremony (did not see you, but there was a big crowd and I could not move from my place), but I noticed there where 25 German soldiers in 22 coffins (or boxes), and not 32.

Erwin

Erwin,

I did see you, but noticing you were not allowed to move nor to speak I did not dare to approach you ! :unsure:

I have always known there were remains of 25 men. Though once in a while some source mentioned more. There were 22 coffins indeed. I did not count them on the occasion, but looking at some photos now, there definitely were 22 indeed. (2 x 11. That is : 2 x 10 beneath the flag, and 2 x 1 in front of the others.)

Yet, as was said several times in the speeches : 25 men. I suppose some of them were with 2 in one coffin ? Not that surprising, considering the fact that as I have witnessed so often the remains are very scarce and fragmentary.

And I know that when a year and a half ago (26/04/03) remains of French soldiers were buried at St. Charles de Potyze (Zonnebeke road), remains of two soldiers were in one coffin.

Aurel

Hello Erwin,

No wonder you missed me in Langemark as I couldn't make it. Needless to say that the period around November 11th is a very busy one for me. This year was even worse than other years due to several cancellations and last minute bookings... but I must say I have been wel informed of the ceremony by my guests who did attend the ceremony.

Best wishes (and hope to see you at the end of this month)

Charlotte