Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French-Verdun

Chris Boonzaier

Hi,

The 17eme R.I. of the 13eme D.I. was awarded a unit citation in April 1916 for holding out for 3 days against German Infantry, flame thrower and Minenwerfer attacks.

Does anyone know in which Verdun sector this took place?

Thanks

Chris

I too start to get interested what took place, only information on the regiment I`ve found is this (yes I know it`s in French, but u should get the idea...):

17e R.I. :

(13e D.I. ; 25e Brigade)

7 mars Des éléments sont en ligne au sud-ouest et sud du fort de Douaumont.

Ils repoussent 3 assauts All.

8 mars Nouvelle attaque All le matin. A 11 h, elle est repoussée.

Suite à la brèche ouverte sur le 100e R.I. au ravin de la Caillette, le 1er bat. (au sud du fort de Douaumont) risque l'encerclement. Le colonel Mareschal décide d'envoyer en urgence la 11e et la 12e comp. (alors en soutient) sur le ravin.

A 13 h, après un combat acharné, la blèche ouverte une heure auparavant est refermée et mieux encore, l'ennemi a été chassé du ravin de la Caillette.

Par cette furieuse contre-attaque et le courage dont elle a fait preuve, la 11e comp. a gagnée le surnom de "Compagnie des Lions".

Dans cette affaire, le 1er bat. à également reçu de l'aide d'éléments du 109e R.I.

9 mars Le 1er bat. repousse 3 assauts All. au sud-ouest et sud du fort de Douaumont.

En 2 jours, il a eu 125 tués et 360 blessés.

10 mars A 15 h, au sud-ouest et sud du fort, l'attaque reprend. Les vagues successives de l'ennemi viennent se briser devant les mitrailleuses Fr.

11 mars Il est relevé pendant la nuit.

Roughly translated:

17th R.I.:

(13e D.I.; 25e Brigade)

March 7 Of the elements are on line in the south-west and south of the fort of Douaumont.

They push back 3 All attacks.

March 8 Nouvelle attacks All the morning. To 11 a.m., it is pushed back.

Following the breach open on 100e R.I. to the ravine of the Petrel, 1st (in the south of the fort of Douaumont) risk beats surrounding. Colonel Mareschal decides to send in urgency 11th and the 12e comp. (then supports some) on the ravine.

To 1 p.m., after a baited combat, the open blèche one hour before is closed again and better still, the enemy was driven out ravine of the Petrel.

By this furious counter-attack and the courage of which it made proof, the 11th comp. the nickname of "Company of the Lions gained".

In this business, 1st beats with also received of the assistance of elements of 109e R.I.

March 9 1st beats pushes back 3 All. attacks in the south-west and south of the fort of Douaumont.

In 2 days, it 125 killed and 360 wounded.

March 10 A 15 H, in the south-west and south of the fort, the attack begins again. The successive waves of the enemy come to break in front of the machine-guns Fr.

March 11 It is relieved during the night.

From a computer driven translation program.

Ralph

Thanks guys.

it helps me place it a bit better.

For those that are interested, when the Regt was awarded the citation, all the soldiers who were there got a certificate, this one is to August Camoin and is signed by the Regt commander, the Batn commander and the Coy commander.

post-4-1098629068.jpg