Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The rise and fall of T/Lt C.J.Busher West Yorks M.C

RaySearching

The plot thickens. Same year same names? ?

Source citation for Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Ancestry recordCitation detailsAssociated factsMedia

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958

Record details
Name Bella Mackinnon
Date of Registration 1894, Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district Ardee, Ireland
Page number 10
FHL Film Number 101257
Household members
Name Age
Charles Joseph Busher  
Bella Mackinnon  
Close
Will.

I don't think there is a plot to thicken here. They were married in Rangoon, it is in his service record and in GRO for service marriages

Whatever was put in Irish GRO is just mirroring that. If you take the trouble to look up the Irish GRO you will see that there is no actual Marriage Cert for a marriage in Ireland as I put in an earlier post

You would be better off trying to establish what he was actually registered as at birth

Will

When I first researched him some 8 years ago I came to a brick wall regarding his parentage

I at the time thought that the name Charles Joseph Busher may have been an alias which he went on to adopt

The lack of a birth record suggests that this may not have been his true name ! which he give on enlistment

Aged 18  on enlistment he stated that he had not resided at his fathers house for the last three years and his next of kin was his uncle in New York

no address listed !   

It was quite common for soldiers to enlist using an alias for various reasons.  as a number of threads on the forum will confirm

unraveling it all over a hundred years later is challenging

As Corisande has  stated, Charles married in Rangoon, the mariage later registrated in Ireland 

Ray 

I took the time to look through baptisimal records for Gorey/Ferns/Monamolin + adjacent parishes for the years 1868-72 to try find our man, but no joy - admittedly not the best at reading cursive writing though like a true 90s kid.
While it could be an alias, I'd bank on him being from Co. Wexford since he enlisted in Duncannon, and stated previous service with the Royal Irish Regiment, which was the local regiment to the area.

Machalovich

Thanks for the interest

Would any records of the Royal Irish Regiment for the period in question still exist ?

Ray

Muster rolls are available in Kew but are not digitized unfortunately. They would probably be the best bet to confirm if he had been in service previously under that name. Alas I do not live in the UK!

This is all very  Intriguing, I don't live to far from Kew, so will book a day to go, You have to let them know in advance what You are looking for so they can can retrieve the records. So I will start a list, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Will

On 07/01/2023 at 16:47, will said:

When My Grandmother died, His medals were supposed to go to My brother, but I believe they went to My Uncle Harry and when He died His widow sent them to A museum?. I would love to know were ?

Just incase your Uncle Harry left specific instructions in his will about the medals you can get a copy of the will here for £ 1.50. Free to register, order & receive the will online.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Travers