Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Victory Medal

Guest Bobby Doc

Guest Bobby Doc

I have recently bought a French 1914-1918 victory medal, could anyone tell me when it was issued and to whom?

I have also bough some buttons and bits and bobs that I would like to idenyify but I will do that when I have photographed or scaned them.

Thanks

It was issued from 1922 to all members of the French armed forces who served for 3 months+ or were casualties before that time limit was achieved. I believe some non-military services were also eligible. There were also unofficial, yet sanctioned, versions of this medal with slight variations.

The French War Medal was issued to all that served 1914-18, including nurses, customs officials, police, firemen (even park-keepers) etc. that were working near(ish) to the Front.

The Combattant's Cross was issued in 1930 as special recognition for those that had fought at the Front or at sea. This gave tangible recognition for those also eligible for benefits as former fighters (I have some docs. relating to a French sailor applying for such recognition so he could afford to feed his family!)

This is was awarded to the same who fought in WW2 (WW1 vets got a bar) and is still awarded - in a gilt metal form - to those who spend 90(?) days in continuous operations when exposed to enemy action (thus it is quite revered among French soldiers as a distinctive medal).

Richard