Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldiers found

healdav

The French TV news announced yesterday that a grave with 5 German bodies had been found somewhere to the north of Chalons (I didn't get the name of the place).

The bodies are all complete and it looks as though they have stumbled on a field grave.

The bodies are being removed and will be sent to the French army medical centre at Marseille where they will try to identify them. There are hopes of a good result as many of the accoutrements of their uniforms are still there - buttons, tags, etc.

I have seen nothing anywhere else.

Thanks for posting, please keep us informed of progress. Why would the French be responsible for attempting ID of German soldiers, why not the German authorities. It is my current understanding that the French do not use DNA profiling but perhaps someone can advise on this apect.

Norman

Good news, and since the remains apparently date from 1915, let's hope that information about them can be gathered in time for them to be reburied, with at least some degree of identification, in 2015. Interesting observation that although they were evidently buried in haste and without ceremony, they were almost certainly buried by their own comrades, as an intact Pickelhaube was found, which would most likely have been souveniered if they had been buried by their enemies.