Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals Battalions near Cradley Heath

Khaki

If a volunteer came from Cradley Heath what would have been his Pals choices near where he lived. This is a non specific person question, as I don't have an individual in mind. My mothers family came from there and the family names were and are well represented locally, I have seen a number (for the region) on the CWGC site and I am just interested in what would have been the local animation of the "Pals" concept. I know that the area was a hard working industrial region but I don't know or can't imagine what sporting associations or similar that area held.

thank you

khaki

Cradley Heath is in the Black Country; "Pals" Battalions were a Northern phenomenon, and there were no "Pals" battalions raised as such in this area.

A word of caution: do not confuse Cradley and Cradley Heath: although adjacent, they belonged to different counties!

I can recommend this website on Cradley and the Great War: http://www.cradleylinks.com/cradley_war_memorial.html - but I am unaware of anything similar for Cradley Heath.

John

• 2 weeks later...

the rowley regis company (enlisted old hill) of the 5th south staffordshire regiment is you best bet! started enlisting october 1914, men mostly chainmakers, strikers, coal miners etc

the rowley regis company (enlisted old hill) of the 5th south staffordshire regiment is you best bet! started enlisting october 1914, men mostly chainmakers, strikers, coal miners etc

Excellent, thank you, I will see what I can find.

khaki

Khahi

There is a list of Pals Battalions in the UK, admittedly on Wikipedia, but see the link below. They appear to be taken from 'British Regiments 1914-18' by Brigadier E A James. There were three Birmingham Pals Battalions within the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pals_battalions

There is a book by Terry Carter 'Birmingham Pals: History of the 14th, 15th and 16th (Service) Battalions of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment' available via Amazon.

Regards

Alan

Khaki

I'm not sure whether this television programme is available on the internet but I've just watched a recording of an ITV production of 'Brothers in Arms' which I believe was originally broadcast a couple of weeks ago in the UK. Primarily about the 'Pals' who joined up together. Ted Francis of the Birmingham Pals recited a poem about his friend 'Spotty', very moving.

Regards

Alan

Edit: There is a version of 'Spotty' with Ted Francis on you tube, just found it.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you Alan, I did watch Ted Francis recite 'So Long Spotty', you are right, it is VERY moving and I highly recommend it to those who wish to understand that the loss of pal's 'gone west' never faded away.

khaki

I visited Ted Francis a few times and had the pleasure of listening to him do his "Spotty"recital a couple of times. He even let me film him. I have it somewhere on a vhs tape.

He was a true gentleman

Terry