Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Phantom Brigade by A.P.G Vivian

Black Maria

When the war clouds gathered in early August 1914 Alfred Percival George Vivian was in his Twenty First year of life and a Lance Corporal in the Fourth

Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment based at Devonport , he had already served seven years in the army having enlisted in May 1907 at the tender age

of just Fourteen. He was in charge of a stretcher section of eight men but being a first class shot he was rueing his luck that he was not in a fighting unit

now that the chance of action was near.

Soon the Reservists were arriving and the battalion was up to strength and sailing for France, arriving in Boulogne they were greeted by jubilant crowds.

After a short stay in the town of Taisinieres where Vivian managed to swop his non-combatant role for that of a fighting soldier ( ironically the chap he

exchanges duties with is killed in the battalion's first action).

The book goes on to describe in exciting detail the author's experiences at the Battle of Mons, where after being slightly wounded and

separated from his unit he teams up with eight fellow stragglers from various units and being of the most senior rank he finds himself in command of

the 'Phantom Brigade' as they call themselves, and with the Germans never far behind and sometimes in front of them they try and find their way back

to the main body of the B.E.F.

The book only covers the opening month but it is a well written, absorbing and at times humorous account of an Old Contemptible's adventures during

that turbulent August.

Written in 1930 and long out of print but well worth looking out for, especially if you are interested in the B.E.F of 1914.

The Vivian has long been a favourite of mine - one of the first WW1 books I read. I'm surprised it hasn't been reprinted - not even a POD or Ebook. The only copy I can find is on Amazon at £75 which looks like a bargain (pity it has no jacket!).

Yes one of mine too, I believe World War books have a copy on ABE ( they are on holiday at the moment) and I received the John Marrin short list of WW1 books

today and I see he has a copy (2nd imp) for £45. I was lucky, a year or so ago I checked on Amazon and by chance there was a jacketed copy for sale for about £35

so I was very pleased that day !

I agree, it really does deserve to be reprinted, parts of it remind me a bit of Hornsey's 'Hell on Earth', especially the bit where they are sheltering in the cottage and

waiting for the chicken to cook, with the Germans not far off.

A catalogue from Marrin - that's a rarity! I seem to have fallen of his list. Could you forward me a copy if you still have it?

Thanks,

Alan

I have always been interested in his account of the killing of the German Cavalry patrol that morning near Mons. He says they' re Uhlans & I think they really were as he describes sending one of their odd helmets back to his officer as proof of the fight. I think he says they killed 6 or 8 of them, the whole patrol.

Does anyone know what regiment these cavalrymen were from?

A very good book indeed. I think he went on to become an officer & was decorated & obviously survived the war to write the book. Thanks.

A catalogue from Marrin - that's a rarity! I seem to have fallen of his list. Could you forward me a copy if you still have it?

Thanks,

Alan

It was a printed one through the post ( phone No/ 0750 4342379)

A very good book indeed. I think he went on to become an officer & was decorated & obviously survived the war to write the book. Thanks.

Yes, in the 2nd impression it states that after recovering from his wounds he returned to France in March 1915, was wounded again in May 1915 and returned to

England. A few months later he went back to France and was commissioned and was wounded again in June 1917 , he transferred to the R.A.F in which he served

till the end of the war.

It would be interesting to know what happened to him in later life.

• 6 years later...

The book has just been reprinted by N&M press £22.50 hardback £11.50 paperback .

• 2 years later...

Finally managed to acquire a copy. The jacket is such a stunner I thought I’d share it here.78663F6B-01CF-4668-B8A3-075607A7F0C7.jpeg.64a5b82a1123db21c3748970ab1c1715.jpeg

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

Well done Alan , one of my favourites .. jacket and book ! 

Thanks John. Good to hear from you again. This copy came from David Pritchard’s collection through Tom. We may be the only two here who appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, other ranker said:

What a great find! Very jealous. One of my favourites.

Thanks Grant. It’s been a long time coming.

15 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks John. Good to hear from you again. This copy came from David Pritchard’s collection through Tom. We may be the only two here who appreciate it!

You , me and Grant :D . I've not had any purchases worth a mention lately , although i've kept a record this year and have bought 59 books ... so far ! Don't worry though Alan, when i get that jacketed copy of Malins 'How i filmed the War ' next year i'll be sure to put up a picture :whistle:

5 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

You , me and Grant :D . I've not had any purchases worth a mention lately , although i've kept a record this year and have bought 59 books ... so far ! Don't worry though Alan, when i get that jacketed copy of Malins 'How i filmed the War ' next year i'll be sure to put up a picture :whistle:

I look forward to it. Could you also supply a picture of Sapper’s ‘Human Touch’ as well! I’m getting to the age where most of the gaps will stay that way. I suppose it’s all dependent on other collectors falling off their perches before I do! Tom tells me their are some reclusive collectors in the States who have huge collections of this stuff.

4 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I look forward to it. Could you also supply a picture of Sapper’s ‘Human Touch’ as well! I’m getting to the age where most of the gaps will stay that way. I suppose it’s all dependent on other collectors falling off their perches before I do! Tom tells me their are some reclusive collectors in the States who have huge collections of this stuff.

That's interesting , that must explain why some of the books we collect rarely appear for sale . It may just be me but they appear to be turning up less and less recently .

23 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

That's interesting , that must explain why some of the books we collect rarely appear for sale . It may just be me but they appear to be turning up less and less recently .

That’s most definitely the case. Over the last couple of years I’ve been finding very little. Not even seeing books I’ve already got.