Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Green Dump Cemetery, Longueval

Beselare

The only reference I can find as to where Green Dump Cemetery was states that it was 1.2km west of Longueval. Can anyone help with trench co-ofrdinates or some more precise information?

Many thanks

Bob

There seem to have been two Green Dump cemeteries, Bob, one between B-H and Beaucourt station and the other near Longueval. The one at Longueval is mentioned in Nigel Cave's 'Battleground Europe' book on Delville Wood, so Nigel may have a more exact location or map reference.

Bob

If you know the name of a man originally buried in Green Dump then look him up on CWGC, then if the burial returns are uploaded yet look under concentration and the burial return will give the location from which he was exhumed.

Peter

Thanks Peter and S.G. The reason I am trying to locate it is that it is mentioned in the war diary of the 18th Battn., KIng's Royal Rifle Corps as a place they attacked, although the diary only mentions 'Green Dump'. As there is no reference to Green Dump on any of the trench maps I can find, I am hoping that I can locate it through the old position of Green Dump Cemetery.

Bob

This taken from "Somme 1916: A Battlefield Companion" by Gerald Gliddon.....

post-5284-0-61995800-1406877991_thumb.jp

And a map of the area below that from the text above, "seems" to put it nearer Bernafay wood, or am I missing something???

regards

Tom

Edit ! had a look at 1.2 Km west, south west of Longueval where the cemetery is mentioned as being located and this puts it firmly in Trevor Pidgeons location shown above...

post-5284-0-31832600-1406878558_thumb.jp

The Green Dump on the above map and the following are I believe RE/Pioneer Dumps and not what was Green Dump Cemetery, the CWGC and Gliddon's location for the cemetery seems to be slightly misleading as Green Dump Cemetery was just SE of the village of Longueval (sheet 57c. S17. d.9.4)

Jon

post-15439-0-31582100-1406882188_thumb.j

From Jon's map reference above......... maps from the excellent "Linesman package"...

post-5284-0-79005600-1406896707_thumb.jp

regards

Tom

Quarry cemetery Montauban holds the old Scottish & "a" Green dump cemetery, if I remember correctly .

Colin.

Thank you everyone for such valuable information. I often wonder how on earth I managed before the Great War Forum was introduced!

Bob

If you stand at the back wall of Caterpillar Valley Cemetery you get a panoramic view of Green Dump, ideal for picture taking

Terry