Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Naval Camp", Gosport, Gilkicker Point area

seaJane

I have been sent a snippet of Ordnance Survey and asked to find out more about the "Naval Camp" that it shows.

The location is on Fort Road, Gosport, directly across from postcode PO12 2DL, just east of the junction with Crescent road (I hope that is clear enough to anyone who is kind enough to look it up on Google Maps) - more or less on the site of the WW2 RN Physiological Labs.

Neither the INM across the road, nor the Gosport Local Studies section of the Discovery Centre, nor the Naval Historical Branch in Portsmouth has any record of it. I've directed my enquirer to the Hampshire Record Office and the IWM but wondered if anyone here had ever come across it.

(It is not the same place as the recently-rediscovered practice trenches which are a couple of miles away at Browndown.)

Thanks!

seaJane

seaJane

Is the OS dated?

Dave

Dave, thanks.

I've just gone back to the original e-mail and it has two OS attachments: one dated 1921 (in very small type, presumably why I missed it) and the other 1933.

So maybe this should be in Skindles... ?

sJ

If mapped in 1921 it would show a camp from the war if still extant but not in use? As some MOD areas are not shown in full detail now but will be if not in miliatry use.

Agreed - but some evidence of the camp in GW period would be good - to be honest, anything else about it would be good!

Aha! Not there in the 1910-11 version. Thank you!

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html has a map from 1910 for the area. If you have a touch screen PC you can zoom in the map without paying for it. Have a look and compare and contrast to what maps you have. Sorry don't know the area so can't comment further on exact map cross refrencing.

Although it doesn't help to progress SeaJane's quest, if you think the Old-maps 6" OS maps are good, try The National Library of Scotland's (NLS) collection http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/index.html and no subscription required for viewing whatever the zoom level.

NigelS

Thanks Nigel, will check that out later.

Thanks are really due to the forum member who pointed out the site in the first place - sadly, I can't remember now who it was.

NigelS

Although it doesn't help to progress SeaJane's quest, if you think the Old-maps 6" OS maps are good, try The National Library of Scotland's (NLS) collection http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/index.html and no subscription required for viewing whatever the zoom level.

NigelS

I thought it onlycovered Scotland for some reason. That is exactly what I need for my exploring locally as we have a lot of hiddenhistorical industrial sites.

• 2 years later...

An old post so sorry for the delay in finding it. The Naval camp was situated in the Stokes Bay Lines No.5 Battery in Fort Road near Gilkicker Point. This is a 1922 map showing its location

gosport1922_c2.jpg

Thank you David. I wonder if I still have that 2014 e-mail filed ...