Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory Medal query

Marigold1

Can anyone offer any suggestions why, according to the Medal Rolls Index, a soldier was awarded the British War Medal, but not the Victory Medal. Most soldiers I have researched seem to get both.

Marigold

Can you give his name, number and regiment?

VM required service in an operational threatre. BWM also allowed "approved service overses" as a qualification. I had a relative who was TF RFA and served in India for the duration. He received BWM but not VM.

I am researching a soldier who served with the 3rd Battallion South Staffs between 1890 and 1902.

I think he picked up a medal for service in 1901-1902 in South Africa.

He signed up again in 1915 with the same regiment and served until discharge in 1918.

I do not think he left the UK in his second service period.

Should he have received an award for his second contribution ?

IE BWM ?

His service record is not shown on ancestry.

Thanks Heather,

I had searched the medal index for him and there was no trace.

But strangely I found two separate "Unburnt" sets of service records.

Both for the 3rd Battalion South Staffs - The long Trail stated that the great war battalion were UK based.

Martin - 3rd Battalion was a training / reserve Unit. Odd for a man who was fit for service not to leave the UK at all if he actually survived the war. What was his name / number and if he was discharged unfit have you looked at Pension records and the Silver War Badge rolls?

Morning Heather.

This is a bit of a family history mystery. Samuel Walker is from my Wife's side of the family and they are of the opinion that he was killed on 8th November 1918 and buried at Cement house cemetery.

My wife's Great Grandfather Private 28789 Samuel Walker, born 1872, 12th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment - (15246) 26th Labour Coy

post-103138-0-90248600-1406799822_thumb.

But whilst searching with the free 24 hour pass to Ancestory I found two records for Samuel Walker Pte 19164. I am convinced this is his true service history.

The first record when he signed up for 6 years in 1890.

The second when he signed up in 1915 aged 43 years. There are documents which list his wife too. The only words I can make out on his movements sheet are discharged 14.12.18

therefore not the S Walker at Cement house.

But I did not find any service medals, hence my first question.

post-103138-0-22996100-1406801366_thumb.

If the above is from Ancestry can you give a link to the page?

The service record for 19164 Samual Walker shows his wife's maiden name as Fanny Hughes, their marriage date as 1896 and two children. a daughter Elizabeth born 1905 Bristol and another daughter Alice born (I think) 1908. This surely should be enough to identify if you have the right man?

His wife's death cert from 1916 is also in the file. "Drowned herself in the canal while temporarily insane" (poor woman) so maybe this is why he was not sent overseas in addition to him being over 40. I can't see anywhere on the medical forum that mentions his medical category.

The file is a very frustrating one full of blank Army Forms and a few bits of writing like the one you linked above that are just too hard to make out.

I can't see a second file? Was it with the same Regiment? It could not have been under the same number as this is a 1915 Regimental number, although there is sometimes cross referencing betwen files.

Thanks for your help.

I have convinced my family that Pte 19164 is the man on our tree as the rest of the names on the papers are exactly right. They are from the Bilston area and it has been un-nerving to read of Fanny's demise

in the canal in Bradley - which is a sub district in Bilston, Wolverhampton.

Here is the early 1890 attestation for Sam with a number 2119 - 3rd Battalion South Staffs. ( Same Battalion as his 1915 service )

post-103138-0-15220400-1406815030_thumb.

Now the outstanding question is :-

who is S Walker 28789 , 12th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment - (15246) 26th Labour Coy. at rest in Belgium ?

who are his family ?

Hello Marigold,

Forgive me for hi-jacking your thread, it was most rude of me.
I just got carried away.

Sorry

Martin

P.S

who is S Walker 28789 , 12th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment - (15246) 26th Labour Coy.

who is at rest in Belgium ?

and who are his family ?