Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.21. A. 50. 12 - Great war map co ordinates - need a little help &#33

Martin Feledziak

I have tried various on line resources to pinpoint this spot but have not been able to locate it.

These are the map co-ordinates---------- M.21.A.50.12

it is listed in the war diary of Y35 Trench Mortar Battery, Royal Field Artillery.

They were setting up a 6 Inch Gun battery between 1st and 6th of August 1918.

The below diary entry suggests that 4 crew were wounded on 7th.

My Great Cousin, Gunner John Platt Jenkinson died of wounds on 8th August 1918 and is buried at the Military Cemetery at Arneke.

So I suspect he was one of the four injured and the above co-ordinates are possibly near to Arneke, France

Here is the war diary entry

post-103138-0-08991300-1406746172_thumb.

I have started a thread for John

Martin, we need the actual map as well as the square. It will be a page or two back in the war diary as they always referenced the map. Eg Map 27NW.

You have probably done this, but Arneke is actually in square H. To find Arneke, go here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=11&lat=50.8299&lon=2.9814&layers=101464630&b=1

Type in 'Arneke' (no quote marks) into the Gazeteer field. It will take you to Map 27NW.

Select a category of WW1 Trench Maps and it will overlay the trench map onto a contemporary Google or Bing map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=50.8409&lon=2.4187&layers=101464876&b=1

Greetings Whitestarline.

I have noticed this additional notation which refers to Sheet 27 R.7.a.9.9.

hopefully this will help me track down the spot.

post-103138-0-18090900-1406796743_thumb.

The link you have sent is very interesting. I will now try to get it to work with sheet 27.

If I manage it I will post back the screen grab.

Many thanks.

Using the same hyper-link, this is from Sheet 27 M21a50.12. I've drawn a small vertical red line - where it terminates, following it downwards, is the location. You can change the transparency to see more, or less of the modern features.

post-66620-0-06635800-1406807973_thumb.j

Well done !

That is very impressive.

Thanks very much

Later I will see how you did it.

I did manage to get various sheet 27 maps loaded onto the viewer but I have no idea how to read off the scales.

I shall now copy this over to the thread for John linked to above

Attached position in google earth

Fantastic that Skipman - and so very easy for me as I do not have any work to do and your placemark drops me right on it.

I have also a brief understanding of the set up as used by "Whitestarline" above at post 4.

Great stuff.

You're welcome. I use a combination of McMaster Maps and the Great War British Trench Map Coordinates Converter

Enter Arneke into Text Search using Place Name or Trench Name: and get Arneke 27NW4 H24
Enter 27.M.21.A.50.12 into the converter get " The centroid of grid location 27.M.21.A.50.12 is at 50.7774, 2.2928. "
Enter 50.7774, 2.2928 (minus the full stop) into google earth
Mike

Thanks Mike,

Those are top tips and now I have a better understanding of how they work.

I love maps and have used Google Earth for a number of years.

now I have a reason to look at WW1 trench maps.

Regards Martin