Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Look up please - not sure if real or fake medals

littlemiss

Hi everyone,

I recently began researching my family's history after coming across multiple WW1/WW2 medals and have had amazing success (so far)!

However, my grandad (on the other side) has given me 2 WW1 medals he acquired in the 50's/60's that I cannot find any information about - they are fairly worn down and look in awful condition compared to the others I have that I know to be real - on top of that, I am struggling with the service numbers showing up on any of the searches.

If anyone is willing to do a look-up, or point me in the right direction I would be truly grateful - I'd love to be able to do these medals justice if they are real and find who they rightfully belong to.

PTE. H.R (or H. B ) Buckley.,

A.O.C

SJT. W.F Taylor.

R.A.M.C

For Taylor, I did find a hit using his number on 'findmypast' but there was no rank and I wasn't confident it is him

If anyone can help I would be over the moon!

Lex

A.O.C

SJT. W.F Taylor.

R.A.M.C

Lex--

I just searched on Ancestry and found Medal Index Cards for Private Herbert B Buckley, AOC and Sgt. William F. Taylor, RAMC. Here are the roll and page numbers for their Medal Roll entries, of which you can order copies from the National Archives:

Buckley:

Roll RAOC/101 B2, page 138 (not positive about the 1, it's faint)

Taylor:

Roll RAMC/101 B37, page 2625

A.O.C

Herbert B Buckely (MIC on Ancestry) he is also on Lives of the First World War: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/584570

SJT. W.F Taylor.

R.A.M.C

William F Taylor (MIC on Ancestry) he is also on Lives of the First World War: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4381042

Mark

That was absolutely phenomenal!

Thankyou both for being so quick and informative! - I feel a bit silly now for troubling you! I'm so pleased I don't have to tell grandad he's been treasuring fake medals for all these years

Lex