Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4.5" Howitzer Cartridge Case - Markings

Dravinger

Hi,

I recently purchased a 4.5" howitzer cartridge case and I have a couple of questions about it hopefully someone out there can answer. The markings on the case are as follows:

4.5" HOWr II CF FG (broad arrow under) Lot 347 LLM 1918 (below broad arrow) dimensions are aprox 114mm diameter by 86mm high.

The primer markings are the things that are confusing me as it is dated 1916 No1 (over) III BM with a broad arrow beside it and a stick man with a large head and arms wide apart. - Picture attached.

My questions are:

Any ideas what the significance of the little man is?

what was the size of the shell it would have propelled?

Finally, I know cartridge cases were re-used so I can understand a cartridge case that is older than the primer but not the other way around - any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

post-107851-0-91177300-1406662602_thumb.

Hi Dravinger,

Welcome to the forum. The little man is the trade mark of Best & Lloyd, Cambray Works, Downing Street, Handsworth, Birmingham. They were the manufacturer of the primer fitted to your case. Primers were reloaded and so it is not unusual to find a primer with a very different year of manufacture than the cartridge.

I'm afraid I don't have time to provide a photograph of a 4.5 inch howitzer shell but will try to do so when time permits. In the meantime, the shell is about 15 inches high.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Dravinger,

Welcome to the forum. The little man is the trade mark of Best & Lloyd, Cambray Works, Downing Street, Handsworth, Birmingham. They were the manufacturer of the primer fitted to your case. Primers were reloaded and so it is not unusual to find a primer with a very different year of manufacture than the cartridge.

I'm afraid I don't have time to provide a photograph of a 4.5 inch howitzer shell but will try to do so when time permits. In the meantime, the shell is about 15 inches high.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Thanks Michael for your help - and so quickly :-)

Andy (Dravinger)

Here is my 4.5 inch shell. This has the name P. Gowwe, and the date Nov.11 1918 stamped on the body. It was presumably intended as a keepsake; perhaps by a munitions worker. It is fitted with a brass fuze adaptor and a No.44 percussion fuze. - SW

post-47661-0-46565500-1406719159_thumb.j

Further to the above - this photo shows the original red paint stencilling on the base of a 4.5 in How. shell case. This was one of six hundred or so, (I didn't count them!) found below Thiepval, presumably from the site of a howitzer battery during the battle. - SW

post-47661-0-94771000-1406719831_thumb.j

Further to the above - this photo shows the original red paint stencilling on the base of a 4.5 in How. shell case. This was one of six hundred or so, (I didn't count them!) found below Thiepval, presumably from the site of a howitzer battery during the battle. - SW

Thanks very much for the info and pictures - you have helped me out no end

Andy