Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Uniform?

Guest Harro Harro

Guest Harro Harro

Dear Forum,

I have recently received this photo of my alleged Great Great Grandfather Frank Bartlett born 1852 Norton Bavant, Wiltshire. Suspected death 1917 Tisbury 1st quarter, Vol 5a, pg 371. I have not ordered copies of these records yet. Rumor has it that he served and died in WW1 (surely too old to join and he does not look that old in the photo). Any thoughts on the uniform etc. The reverse of the photo shows a post card style print. I havehad the Russian writing transcibed and it basically gives instructions on how to use the post card, i.e. where to write and where to write the the address, Hope this helps date the photo, much appreciated. regards Jason, Australia

post-112839-0-72598200-1406538324_thumb.

post-112839-0-41725600-1406538366_thumb.

Looks like ww1 uniform. Bandolier, lanyard. Probably a driver as he is wearing spurs. Cap badge unclear.

If it is him he would have been 65, which is tad overage, but lying about one's age happened at both ends. The chap in the photo looks to be in the Army Service Corp, ASC.

Economy pattern tunic also

Great image of a ASC driver in simplified tunic and you can even see where he has recently removed his waist belt. His cap seems to be the soft pattern from 1916.

Could be an A.S.C., M.T.(Volunteer), as they would be well over age or even a Home Service A.S.C. unit?

Guest Harro Harro

Thanks so much for all your thoughts. I think I will explore the Could be an A.S.C., M.T.(Volunteer), as they would be well over age or even a Home Service A.S.C. unit? Where would be the best place to start?

There seems to be no listing for a Frank Bartlett on CWGC.

The 1911 census has him living with Elizabeth and two children living in Salisbury with his occupation given as farm labourer aged 58 yrs.