Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stands of Arms

Khaki

Rather an odd question, but it occurred to me while watching a television series containing stately homes. I saw one that contained a wall display of rifle/muskets, swords etc displayed in circular fashion. It occurred to me to enquire as to whether such wall displays ever contained Great War material, or was it no longer fashionable by the 1920's. Has anyone ever seen such a thing?, I don't include museums in this.

thanks

khaki

Plus I will be shot down by the rifle shooters on this.

Muskets, powder shot pistols and swords had a Georgian elegance about them, An enfiled rifle and other hardware from Edwardian times on are industrial brutes by comparison. Each to their own in taste but I would rather a tower musket over the fireplace and an Enfield in the gun safe ready for the ranges.

I don't think you would be alone in that opinion, I remember many, many years ago being the secretary of a gun collectors club, where the older members could only relate to flintlocks, barely tolerated percussion and anything that chambered a self contained cartridge was 'beyond the pale'. Being one of the youngest members I could only afford what they considered as just army surplus. Those days are long gone and while I don't have a lot of interest in long arms that don't have wood on them I don't mind what people collect. I agree with you that muskets and swords have an elegance all of their own, although I have a flintlock musket and a percussion enfield, I still enjoy the bolt action weapons that I grew up with. Its still hard to think of No.1 Mk3 enfields, Colt 1911's and all the others of that period being or approaching 100 years of age and now being antiques in their own right.

khaki

The war memorial in Sheffield cathedral has railings incorporating bayonets (lots of them!). Does this count as a stand of arms?

Nigel

I don't think you would be alone in that opinion, I remember many, many years ago being the secretary of a gun collectors club, where the older members could only relate to flintlocks, barely tolerated percussion and anything that chambered a self contained cartridge was 'beyond the pale'. Being one of the youngest members I could only afford what they considered as just army surplus. Those days are long gone and while I don't have a lot of interest in long arms that don't have wood on them I don't mind what people collect. I agree with you that muskets and swords have an elegance all of their own, although I have a flintlock musket and a percussion enfield, I still enjoy the bolt action weapons that I grew up with. Its still hard to think of No.1 Mk3 enfields, Colt 1911's and all the others of that period being or approaching 100 years of age and now being antiques in their own right.

When I was at school, I read a Robert Westall book called "The Wheatstone Pond", basically a childrens horror story about a pond being drained. Several Lee-Enfields are found in the process, and were described by the antique dealer narrator of the story with words to the effect of them being ugly and no collector would want them. And that story was contemporaneous with when it was written in 1993...

Its still hard to think of No.1 Mk3 enfields, Colt 1911's and all the others of that period being or approaching 100 years of age and now being antiques in their own right.

My Colt Government Model is indeed one hundred years old this year and both my Luger and Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector will be next year. All three are now "Prohibited Weapons" and thus have to be held securely under Section 7(3) of the Firearms Act. So no wall hanging for them!

Greetings Khaki,

Slightly off topic firearms-wise, but some nice blade's display offerings. The last scanned page of which was from a 1940 dated catalog.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayonets-trench-knives-world/decorative-bayonet-other-blade-inspired-man-cave-decor-459460/

Regards,

Lance