Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moscow

robbie

Hi,

Here is a Feldpostcard sent from Moscow to Hamburg, Germany. I have scanned both front and back. Would be interested to hear from anyone who can make out the text.

Robbie

post-5-1098459901.jpg

Tweeked a little.

Onya mate. Just learning - it's so obvious isn't it?

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Suetterlin, you have to love it! Here is a site that might help you:

http://feldpost.mzv.net/Sutterlin/body_sutterlin.html

set up for reading things like this.

I can make a few words here and there, but it's just too small for me. I think I know some people who might help..standby.

Paul

Robbie,

Already got a few answers back from some German friends. I'm afraid they couldn't make out much more than I could:

Warsaw, 14. Juni 1918

Dear Jonny,

We hope that you are..................

leave (vacation)

(Greetings)

Your Herrmann

Sorry, a bit of a bust. They mentioned that it is extremely hard to read. Is the original written in pencil? It seems so faded.

Actually now that I think of it, it seems to be posted from Poland. The postmark Zegrze is from Novo-Geoergisk (spelling?) and of course, Herrmann seems to have addressed it from Warshau (1st line, before date).

Paul

Paul

Appreciate your efforts mate. Yes many of these postacards were written in pencil. Amazing that there is any text left given the time number of years since they were written.

Robbie

Hello,

it says:

Herrn Johann Minners

bei Firma A. W. Niemeyer Hamburg 11

Hamburg 23

Roßberg 40

Warschau 14. Juni 1918

Lieber Jonny !

Will hoffen, daß Du noch fest sitzt. Nach ungefähr 2 jähriger Gefangenschaft bin ich jetzt gottlob wieder in Warschau und fahre morgen auf 2 Mon nach Hause auf Urlaub. Dir geht es hoffentlich gut und werde ich mir gestatten doch bald einmal bei A W N zu besuchen. Leider hat es sich ja in den 2 Jahren in Hamburg sehr verändert, doch glaube ich, daß es sich auch bei einem Glas Königsbier gut glauben läßt. Herzl. Grüße Dein Hermann

Musk. H. Wichert Altona-

Brunnenstraße 30

...... daß es sich auch bei einem Glas Königsbier gut glauben läßt. ...... does not really make sence to me, but that is, what I read there. May be Johann "Jonny" knew, what Hermann was talking about.

A. W. Niemeyer (A W N) was a firm in Hamburg, which suplied the dockyards with equipment for the ships. Today, they still exist in Hamburg.

Hinrich

Hinrich,

You are terrific thankyou.

Robbie

Hinrich,

Your eyes are much better than mine!!

How's about:

"...daß es sich noch bei einem Glas Königsbier gut plaudern läßt!..."

For the line that doesn't make sense?

Paul

Hello Paul,

you are absolutely right. The "g" in words like "gottlob" or "gestatten" is always closed, while the first letter in the word "plaudern" is open.

Your eyes are very good, too :)

And so : "...daß es sich noch bei einem Glas Königsbier gut plaudern läßt!..." really makes sence. Let`s hope, that Hermann and Johann met and had a glas of (Königs-) beer and a good talk !

Hinrich