Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to hide an artillery piece the German way...

trajan

Die Woche, no. 46, w/e 14 Nov 1914, p. 1867

Can't help but wonder if they enjoyed the contents of the barrel first...!!! :thumbsup:

post-69449-0-40905800-1406368847_thumb.j

post-69449-0-00981100-1406368857_thumb.j

Who said Germans did not have a sense of humour .... ?

:thumbsup:

:D

Who said Germans did not have a sense of humour .... ?

Just about everyone I think..... :w00t:

Just about everyone I think..... :w00t:

One day, if you are not careful, I will tell all the (in)famous German joke about the wrong telephone number that I learned as my first German joke back in the 1970's, and then, after you recover from the pain, you will understand that the German humour it is not to be trifled with... :mellow:

They still served a very good purpose.

Germans will use dummy guns during the entire war trying to deceive aerial observation

Cnock

Its astonishing how effective even very crude "dummies" can be to aerial observation.

Shortly after the Falklands War, I was in charge of the Rapier missile sites on the west side of San Carlos Water. Each Rapier site at that time consisted of a bunker complex dug into the peat, with six major surface identification features: 1. the missile launcher 2. the Blindfire radar unit 3. the operator & commander station with the aiming unit 4. a very large 27.5 KVA generator and fuel dump 5. triple concertina barbed wire perimeter 6. access tracks through the heather & peat surroundings. Given that the landscape was essentially uninhabited virgin peat moor, these military sites stood out quite starkly.

About 200 yds away from each "live" site we constructed a pathetic dummy site made from oil drums, scraps of wood and bits of cam net. There was no barbed wire available to duplicate the c.200 yd perimeters, and because no-one went to these dummy sites, no tracks were carved into the peat.

Nevertheless - unbelievably - we had persistent problems with our RAF colleagues mistaking the dummy sites for the real ones, and dumping off heli-resupply pallets onto the dummy sites!