Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hooge 2 June 1915, chateau lost

Cnock

Hi,

I am looking for more info concerning Hooge Chateau lost by the British army on 2 June 1915

regards,

Cnock

• 1 month later...

any one knows the British units involved?

regards,

Cnock

Hello Cnock

I believe that it was the dismounted regiments of the 3rd Cavalry Division under Major General C J Briggs.

The Germans started a bombardment at 0500 which lasted till midday when the attack went in and drove the surviving cavalrymen out of the remains of the Château and stables.

Men from the 1st Lincolnshire's and 4th Royal Fusiliers of 9 Brigade went up in support and managed to retake the stables.

That is all the information that I have, hope that helps.

John

PJA

I think that the flame attack was in July, this action was the loss of the Château itself.

John

hi,

thanks,

yes, the flamethrower attack was on 30th July,

on 2nd of June the Germans only managed to take the chateau, when their goal was to take also Hooge houses.

Cnock

Also according to C-I-C dispatch #9

"A gallant defence was made by troops of the 3rd Cavalry Division and 1st Indian Cavalry Division, and our position was maintained throughout."

I assume both Divisions where dismounted for the defence

Hi Trumper

Forgot to mention the Indian Division involvement, thanks for the reminder.

It was The Kings Dragoon Guards that helped regain the Château with approx losses of 40 kia and similar wounded. The regiment were part of the Indian Cavalry, being in Lucknow when war was declared and they embarked as part of the India Expeditionary Force.

John

• 3 months later...

Hi John

do You know if the 3rd Dragoon Guards were also involved?

regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock

Happy New Year to you. :D

I dont know is the truthful answer I will need to investigate. As far as I know the Kings Dragoon Guards moved into the front line taking over at 23:00 on 29th May from the 3rd Dragoons. It shows that they prepared and occupied communication trenches back to the 3rd DG, whether or not the 3rd DG were called into action I do not know - yet!

Regards

John