Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was the first Earl (as in title) to die in WW1?

hen190782

I know that Francis Annesley, 6th Earl Annesley, died on 5th November 1914 and, whilst several "Sons of Earl ....." died before him, I am not aware of anyone with the title "Earl" dying in the war before 5th November 1914.

Happy to be contradicted :thumbsup:

Nigel

Not intending to be flippant but here's the other side of the coin - German princes...

Note syntax's rant and then the descendants of James 1. Now that's what I call research......!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Francis Annesley, 6th Earl Annesley, died on 5th November 1914 and, whilst several "Sons of Earl ....." died before him, I am not aware of anyone with the title "Earl" dying in the war before 5th November 1914.

Happy to be contradicted :thumbsup:

Nigel

Nigel He was the first Earl to die in the War. The first Peer to die in the War was Lt Robert Cornwallis Maude, 6th Viscount Hawarden who died at Mons on 26th Aug 1914 with the 3rd Bn Coldstream Guards. You might find this link useful as it lists the Peers and MPs (many were sons of Peers) who died in the War. click here

A very interesting topic Nigel, and one on which I have no knowledge, however the link Martin has posted is extremely interesting - thank you Martin.

Anne

Anne

Was down in your neck of the woods yesterday ... met Shirley from the Donaghadee Historical Society and may be helping out with the society's WW1 Project :-)

I am working with a new group called History Hub Ulster and we want to try and identify the "First Ulsterman to die with ..." for each Irish regiment. BTW, the first Member of Parliament to die in the Great War was Captain O'Neill of Shane's Castle :-)

Nigel

Anne

Was down in your neck of the woods yesterday ... met Shirley from the Donaghadee Historical Society and may be helping out with the society's WW1 Project :-)

I am working with a new group called History Hub Ulster and we want to try and identify the "First Ulsterman to die with ..." for each Irish regiment. BTW, the first Member of Parliament to die in the Great War was Captain O'Neill of Shane's Castle :-)

Nigel

You are working too hard Nigel, but good luck!

Anne