Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Shoulder Badges?

MatthewT

Could anyone identify the two pictures below please.

I presume they are Regiment shoulder badges??

Apologises for the dodgy pictures!

Many Thanks

(Next one to follow)

post-23-1098446959.jpg

Guest Trench Boezinge

I searched a little and found this could be a shoulder badge from the

Army Apprentice's School (Australian Army). Greetings from Boezinge.

The other one is a wreath in which could be placed any number of letters, usually in script, to designate training and/or qualification for a certain weapon. You need something to place in the wreath to make it complete.

DrB

;)

I searched a little and found this could be a shoulder badge from the

Army Apprentice's School (Australian Army). Greetings from Boezinge.

Thanks Boezinge!

More reserach needed then as no links to Australian Army!!

Regards

Matt

The other one is a wreath in which could be placed any number of letters, usually in script, to designate training and/or qualification for a certain weapon. You need something to place in the wreath to make it complete.

DrB

;)

Thanks for this DrB.

Your right the wreath is separate from the letters as I can take them out.

Any idea on what the letters stand for and if this was linked to a particular regiment??

Thanks

Matt

MatthewT...I'm stumped. None of my reference materials have anything for AAS. Westlake, in his book, states that the Army Apprentice School was established in 1920 and never carried the initials AAS on their shoulders.

Likewise the Canadian list carries no AAS, nor does the Australian, South African or German list. They only thing I can advance, and that is very tentative, is that it was an unofficial title that preceeded the Anti Aircraft Searchlight Co or Section but without the "C" or "S" as the fourth letter. However, yours looks to be properly intact with the mounting ring in place behind the last letter "S."

It could be, as I have often found to my chagrin while collecting, a civil title of some sort. (Beware the BW title, offered as "Black Watch" when it is not. It stands for Barracks Warden! The Black Watch carried RH for Royal Highlanders on their shoulders in WWI and BW, in brass, was not adopted until 1927 and in much smaller letters than mine, and not in white metal as mine is)

Perhaps some WWI whiz can offer a further explaination to your question but I cannot. Sorry

DrB

:(