Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A commemorative event on Worthing Pier, Saturday August 2nd.

Guest Albert51

Guest Albert51

I am a long-term history enthusiast and read avidly autobiographies and accessible non-fiction relating to the Great War. I would like to help commemorate the rapidly-approaching centenary of the beginning of that conflict, in Worthing, West Sussex.

For these reasons (and as part of a not-for-profit group called On Location Films in Worthing) I am organising an event on and around Worthing Pier on Saturday August 2nd, that will feaure the screening of Richard Attenborough's 1969 film "Oh! What A Lovely War" at 2.30pm. We have a permit to collect for the Queen Alexandra Home and Hospital for ex-service personnnel in Worthing, on that day. I hope, therefore that members / readers on this forum will consider this post to be acceptable and potentially interesting.

The film will be preceded, from 1.30pm until 2.30pm by a number of related events. These will include a Great war Time Line set out on part of the pier that will include the names of all those on the St. Paul's and the Worthing War Memorials, in addition to some snippets of information. During the early afternoon, two local historians will be available to guide visitors along it. Members of the Royal Sussex Living History Group will also be in attendance, with two machine guns of the period.

It might not be all over by Christmas, but it will be by 6pm!

We hope you will think about joining us for this unique occasion.

Tickets at £10 (£7 concessions) available from Worthing Theatres, tel : 01903 206206, and online, at : www.worthingtheatres.co.uk