Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28 Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force

Johnel

My grandfather served in this unit 1916-1919. Can anyone tell me where this battalion was deployed?

Thanks.

Johnel

I am not sure which the 28th battalion is but if you look here

canadian war diaries

you can search for '28th battalion' and get 2 diaries.

These if the right ones will tell you what they were doing.

Regards

Leigh

Welcome to the Forum Johnel and congratulations on having a link to a fine battalion.

(cue sarcastic comment from Broznitsky at this point........................... :blink: )

IMPORTANT ENGAGEMENTS.

St. Eloi Craters, April, 1916

Hooge, June 6th, 1916

Courcelette (Somme) September, 1916

Vimy Ridge, April, 1917

Hill 70, August, 1917

Passehendaele, November. 1917.

The 28th Battalion throughout the fighting set a notable example of gallantry and endurance." The words were penned by Lord Beaverbrook ("Canada in Flanders," Volume II.), in his graphic description of the exploits of Canadian regiments in the agonizing struggle for the craters of St. Eloi in April 1916. Such an eulogy, coming from the Dominion's first official war historian, pays splendid tribute to a very popular western battalion. It is indeed an appreciation well merited. From Kemmel Hill (September 1915) to Passchendaele (November 1917), the record of the 28th is one of fine achievement, a story to live in the annals of Canada's role in the war.

Hi Johnel,

I too welcome you to this forum. It is an outstanding resource for anyone interested in the Great War.

As Derek says, the 28th had a fine reputation, In my own collection are a trio to an original member of the unit who landed in France in September,1915, 73930 Pte.D.McLeod, and a pair to a reinforcement 424452 Pte.W.E.Carr.

Carr joined the 28th on 2 March,1916. Three weeks later, on the 24th, he was wounded on the scalp by shrapnel. Returning to the unit he was involved in the fighting at Hooge on 6 June, and was again wounded (gun shot wound upper thigh) and had the misfortune to be taken prisoner.

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for your kind words and assistance. I am very happy to have chanced upon this forum in my search for information on my grandfather. The tips you have provided have given me the info I've been looking for. I was so pleased with the results , that I decided to try to find out about my grandfather's brother, who my father had told me had been a dispatch runner and machine gunner at Passchendaele. It turns out that he was a member of the 46th Battalion.

I've always been interested in this topic, and a few years ago I just felt compelled to visit the Ypres salient. That is a very powerful place.....

All the best,

John Ellis

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning!

I am researching my grandfather Arthur John Ellis 781684 28th Battalion CEF and his brother Reginald Ellis 427706 46th Battalion CEF.

Can anyone tell me if and where I can get a copy of these men's service records?

Thanks,

John Ellis

John, you need to start here, for Library and Archives Canada.

You may also wish to visit here for a list of other references.

Have fun!

Peter in Vancouver

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the help!

John in Germany

Guest NW_Battalion

Just a note to all interested in the 28th Battalion.

I have obtained permission from the copyright holder (the Royal Regina Rifles Trust Fund) to publish the elusive (and previously unpublished) "History of the 28th (Northwest) Battalion (October 1914 - June 1919)" by D.G. Scott-Calder, E.D., the Official Historian of the Regina Rifles. The work of editing & posting to the web site is ongoing. I hope to have the fist three chapters up for November 11.

Also note that if you think i can be of help with any of youur research projects, drop me a note.

Regards,

Robert Lindsay

Web Master, 28th (North-West) Battalion Headquarters

28th (North-West) Battalion Headquarters

Oh Cheers, Robert! I found your web site recently and really appreciate what you've done there ... thank you. Shall now scoot over to begin reading your latest.

Regards,

Alison Causton

• 1 year later...

*28th Northwest Battalion

The 28th (North-west) Battalion was recruited in 1914 from the Manitoba / Saskatchewan area of Canada. The battalion went overseas to Britain as part of the 'Second Contingent' in June of 1915. There it joined 6th Brigade, 2nd Division of the Canadian Corps. The last soldier killed on the Western Front was Private G. Price of the 28th, shot by a sniper while on patrol at 10:58 am, Nov. 11, 1918, two minutes before the armistice. This website has a significant amount of research work within it including a detailed database.

http://www.nwbattalion.com/28thbattalion.html