Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. Labour Corps.

susan kitchen

Someone has asked me to find out anything i can about a relative of theirs. Benjamin Rond born in 1878. His number was 45168. Dog Tag CE 71170, i think. I can only find his medal card.

Can't seem to find out where his Regiment were during the War and i wondered if someone who has an interest in this regiment might be able to give me some idea. Even if it's a general idea.

Might soften the blow a bit when i go back and tell them that there doesn't seem to be any records available apart from the medal card.

His MiC does not show a battalion.

71170 was his Labour Corps number.

• Admin

Some general ideas!

Benjamin Rond b.1878 married, a general labourer he would have been eligible for call up under the Military Service Act. He lived in South London well within the catchment for the Queens. He died in March 1934. His mic confirms he did not go overseas until after 31/12/1915 and the medal rolls which your friend can obtain from Kew for a small sum may confirm which battalion he first served overseas with but he is on the LC Rolls which do not always show the original unit.

In the meantime looking at the casualties 45186 (Stewart) Forest Gate 5/11/1917 is shown as 8th Infantry Labour Company transferred (69425) to 116th Coy Labour Corps

and 45194 Turner (31/12/1917) 19th Labour Company transferred (71235) 119th Coy Labour Corps.

So two possibilities one he was in an active duty Battalion of the Queens and his medical category was downgraded and transferred to LC or, more likely given his age and peace time occupation - he was conscripted and posted to one of the Labour Battalions of the Queens (13th,14th.15th) transferring to the Labour Corps in June 1917 (see LLT). The LLT notes two Battalions went to France in 1916 (which accords with the mic) and one to Salonika (ditto). The two casualties above are the only two I can find in that number series. His relatively early death may have been a consequence of his occupation or his war service.

I'll have a closer look at the records later.

Ivor Lee is the expert on the LC and other members have his book which I believe has a number/transfer into the Corps guide.

Ken

• Admin

I've found the service record of Frederick William Phippen from Bethnal Green 45160 of the Queens/71147 Labour Corps

A Group or Derby Scheme volunteer from December 1915 (the Group scheme promised some degree of choice so that fits). He was mobilised to the Queens 20 February 1917 posted to the Inf Lab Coy Queens 11 (sic) 23 February 1917. Embarked Folkestone 7/3/1917 landed Boulogne the same day. Transferred to Labour Corps 119th Lab Coy (as Turner above) 14th May 1917 in France.

Indexed on FMP under his LC number. In the pension records on Ancestry only 8 numbers from your man so seems a fair bet he was in the same draft but can't confirm. Can family stories/photos indicate if your man was in France or Salonika?

Ken

Some companies organised under the Queen's badge for labour duties subsequently became part of the Labour Corps, so that's a possible route. The tables of service numbers etc at the end of "No Labour, No Battle" will confirm that hypothesis (or disprove it). Mine's not to hand at the moment.

I'm really grateful for the response i've had regarding Benjamin Rond. I don't really know the person well who asked me for this information but i know he doesn't know much about

Benjamin Rond who was his Grandfather. And unfortunately and rather bizarrely when ever he asked his Dad for information regarding his Grandfather's time in the War he was told it was none of his business.

He has now told me about the two medals Ben had. He said one was the Great War for Civilisation and the other the 1914-1918 War medal.

How sad for someone to have gone through the War, dying in 1934 to have had a Grandchild who wanted to know so much about him only for it to be denied.

The world is full of strange people.

Thanks for all the trouble all have taken.