Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dug-outs on Gallipoli

curranl

Hello All,

I came across the following in Bryan Cooper's "The Tenth (Irish) Division at Gallipoli":

" By this time the Battalion [Cooper was in the 5th Connaught Rangers] were becoming something of connoisseurs in the qualities of dug-outs. Dug-outs are of two kinds, those you dig for yourself and those you dig for somebody else. In the former case, you collect as many sand-bags, pieces of corrugated iron, pit props, and miscellaneous building materials as your ingeuity or your dishonesty can achieve, and then proceed to dig yourself an eligible residence. The depth dug is usually in inverse proportion to rank: the higher, the deeper, though to go too deep was considered to exhibit a somewhat excessive desire to be safe at all costs. The Australians had a story of an officer whom they did not like, and on whose courage they (probably unjustly) reflected. They declare that he was severely wounded, as the rope broke when he was being lowered into the dugout and he fell the remaining eighteen feet.

The dug-out that is dug for another is not so elaborate. You burrow into the vertical face of a hill until a cavity large enough to contain a man is created, and leave it for the occupant to make the best of. Before he has learnt to do this, he has probably bumped his head several times and filled his hair with earth. At the same time, however small it may be, it is unwise to forsake the burrow constructed for you by the experienced inhabitant and strike out a line for yourself. Two officers who attempted this were quickly disillusioned. Their first effort installed them in a cemetery, where a corpse was awaiting burial. Their second reopened a recently filled in latrine, while the third found them in the midst of buried Turks. Then they gave up"

Regards,

Liam.

Hey Liam

Thats great! :lol: Beautifully written too '...ingenuity and dishonesty can achieve..."! Mind if I copy it please? I do like these extra bits, they make the subject more 'amusing' and its a lovely change to the gore, sadness and bravery.

Not relevant, but I shared this daft line from the 5th Beds in Egypt with Lee this morning, though it may put a smile on your face:

"2 September 1916, El Shatt canal Zone. Pt Ashpole escaped from hospital at 0500 and swam across the canal. Evidently quite insane". Bless him; he was probable baking hot and wanted to cool off!! Oh, they caught him at 0530 & sent him back to hossy, so alls well there! Made me laugh out loud when I saw it in the archives (which isnt always the politest thing to do), but 'little things' and all that ...

Hows the Dissitation coming on mate?

Steve :D

Hi Steve,

The bit that made me laugh was the Australian officer being lowered by rope into his dugout.

Liked your man swimming the canal too.

I'm not doing a dissertation, thankfully. I did one years ago in Environmental Science and one is more than enough for any man. I think you have me confused with Trooper, a student from Northern Ireland who is doing a thesis on the 10th (Irish) Division.

Which reminds me; Trooper, any chance of a gander at the thesis when it's finished? Are you coming to Dublin for Alan Wakefield's talk?

By the way, copy away.

Regards,

Liam.

So youre not living in Turkey writing a Diss then??!! Sorry Liam. The whole piece made me smile to be honest, just lovely to read.

See a around mate

Steve :D