Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doubly thankful villages - Telegraph article

NigelS

An article in today's Daily Telegraph (19th July) 'And they all came home from the world wars...' about the UK's thirteen known - there may well be more - so called 'Doubly thankful villages' whose men all came back from both World Wars, and how they're to have special commemorative plaques erected. The article doesn't say who's organizing the plaques - anyone know?

NigelS

I am reminded of this, from Peter Vansittart's 'Voices From the Great War' (1981):

"A lot of farmers hid their horses during the Great War, when the officers came round. The officers always gave good money for a horse but sometimes the horses were like brothers and the men couldn't let them go, so they hid them. I wasn't called up. Nothing happened to me and I didn't remind them. We didn't really miss the men who didn't come back. The village stayed the same."

John Grout to Ronald Blythe. From Blythe's 'Akenfield'.

According to a letter in today's Daily Telegraph (21st July) Little Sodbury in Gloucestershire is another 'Doubly Thankful Village' Click (& scroll down - quite along way - to 'Lucky Little Sodbury.'

NigelS