Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anybody else experiencing problems adding new information?

JaneEH

Most annoying to search for information from sources such as census (which can take quite a time,) filling in the boxes to prove it belongs to the person being 'remembered' clicking on the button to attach it to the record only to get one of those irritating 'whoops' messages & asked to try again later. This seems to be happening quite frequently.

• 4 months later...

I, too, have found the website frustrating. I had the devil of a time uploading picture, and when I got it done, it was sideways. No way to correct it, however. Moreover, if the information already posted is inaccurate, there is no way to correct it. My great uncle served in the RAF. He is listed as being born in Great Britain. In fact, he was born in North Carolina and was an American. There is no way to correct it. Of course, that does not matter to anyone but me.

Moreover, if the information already posted is inaccurate, there is no way to correct it. My great uncle served in the RAF. He is listed as being born in Great Britain. In fact, he was born in North Carolina and was an American. There is no way to correct it. Of course, that does not matter to anyone but me.

This is not correct. The whole point of a Project like this is that you CAN correct information that is wrong. However in order to do so you have to have evidence of the correct fact. How do you know he was born in the USA? if you can tell us that then we can tell you how to correct the information that is wrong. If you don't have evidence then of course you can't correct it becasue this isn't a "type what you know" sort of site - it requires verifiable evidence before a "fact" can be corrected.

As for adding a picture, provided it is in the correct formnat and size, this should be very simple as all you have to do is click the image icon in the correct place. No idea why yours ended up sideways but you can delete and re-upload or have you tried contacting Support and asking them?

• 2 weeks later...

I added some information to two entries a few days back and all went on including uploading document images without any problems.

This is not correct. The whole point of a Project like this is that you CAN correct information that is wrong. However in order to do so you have to have evidence of the correct fact. How do you know he was born in the USA? if you can tell us that then we can tell you how to correct the information that is wrong. If you don't have evidence then of course you can't correct it becasue this isn't a "type what you know" sort of site - it requires verifiable evidence before a "fact" can be corrected.

I'm puzzled.

How could incorrect information have been listed there in the first place (without evidence of birth in Great Britain)?

CGM

I'm puzzled.

How could incorrect information have been listed there in the first place (without evidence of birth in Great Britain)?

CGM

Wrongly recorded on his service record which someone else used as evidence?

• Admin

CGM

If he stated on his enlistment papers that he was born in GB, then that is the data that would be used. No different to underage soldiers stating they were 19. It would then take a birth record to get that changed on 'Lives'.

There are at least two other ways it could be incorrect.

Poor transcription of the original paperwork into electronic format. I have seen many, many infantry MICs where the (T) for TF service added after the regiment name has been interpreted as Transport so you end up with lots of e.g. Middlesex Regiment Transport instead of Middlesex Regiment (T).

There has also been some very shoddy work done by Lives withthe CWGC data. If an age has been added to a man's record, they have done a simple mathematicla process and subtracted that age from the year of death and then added that as a year of birth. It sort of falls down badly when you find a man who died in the first day or 2 in January.

Glen

I too have not found a way to add information to the online 'pro forma's'.

However, I would have taken the time to learn to do this and add a lot of info as and when.

BUT - I am now receiving an email a day from IWM 'Lives of the First World War' asking if I want this subscription or that subscription at this reduced rate or that reduced rate!

It's unsolicited junk email ! which now means that I will unsubscribe from this project and not spend my (free of charge) time adding information.

Sorry if this sounds a rant - but I now feel deceived because this is not a charity but…….

DC Thomson Family History, The Glebe, 6 Chapel Place, Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3DQ, United Kingdom. VAT Registered: 927 1672 12. Company Number: 4369607

It's not unsolicitied junk mail. You agreed to it when you signed up. Having said that I'm not a paying member and I think I've had ONE e-mail from them in about 3 months, so something is wrong there. Why not simply contact them about it, or simply click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the e-mail?

What made you think for one second that it was a charity? Any project like this needs a "partner" company who puts up the money. In this case it's DC Thompson and the Lives site makes no attempt to hide this.

Sorry Heather, but I don't fully buy into that.

Yes, you're right that I should have ticked (or unticked) that box - but I didn't see it - And I'm normally very good at spotting those.

Why did I think that it was Charity…….

Well its says IWM on the TOP and you have to scroll the BOTTOM to find DC Thompson (now that I have done that).

And IWM is "an independent, statutory, corporate, public body with exempt charity status".

​And finally, I can't post images in this area, but a screen shot would confirm that I have received an email EVERY DAY.

Yes, I could do everything you suggest, but I'm not going to for the reasons that I said in my first post.

Fair enough Mike and that's your choice of course though I think it is a shame when people give up on the site if they have genuine information to offer as you clearly do. It hasn't been the easiest site to use becasue of its insistence (I think correctly) on people entering sources first and then facts from the source (which many people aren't used to at all and even those who are, usually do it the other way round like on Ancestry) but ease of use has improved significantly over the last six months.

As for the "bottom of the page" comment. When you sign up (even for the free subscription), the very first paragraph of the terms says "By using the website you are making an agreement with IWM. The website is delivered in partnership with DC Thomson Family History", so it's not exactly hard to find - if you read the T&Cs of course!

I have also given up on that site for the same reason.

Begging emails wanting £6 a month, reduced to £1 a month special offer.

If I could be bothered to waste more of my time to find the unsubscribe button, I would probably click it, thus saving me from receiving even more emails from them.

Such a shame.

Sorry again Heather, but I've just been through the entire 'sign up' process again using a different IP address and I think that the entire procedure is not transparent enough.

I don't actually see a difference between this site and Ancestry (which I have a subscription to), FIndmypast, forces reunited, forces war records………….. et al

"Agreement with……."

and

"Website delivered by…."

Are very different concepts and should not initiate "begging emails".

And by the way people offering to submit their research/information/evidence/years-of-hard-work should not have to read T&Cs (of course!)

You are paying (just as with the other sites) for access to the digitised records, and some of the additional features such as creating and managing communities. If you already have access to the records via other routes, you can do everything else without subscribing (if you have a 12-month FMP sub, I believe you can get free access to Lives as well, they just need to confirm your subscription details). Add external references to the records on other sites and you can update details. All websites have T&Cs, whether you pay for them or not.

So far as I can see, the relationship between IWM and DCTFH has been clear from day 1 of the site being launched.

As others have said, I don't get anything like the frequency of emails that you report, it does seem as if something has gone a little wrong. I wouldn't characterise them as begging missives either, they're just reminding you of the subscription options.

The difference between this and the other sites is the potential for collaboration, and for academic research - there's a pretty heavyweight academic board providing advice.

If I could be bothered to waste more of my time to find the unsubscribe button, I would probably click it, thus saving me from receiving even more emails from them.

It's at the bottom of the e-mail. Not very hard to find.

Mike - the main difference between Lives and Ancestry is that you can write any old unsubstantiated rubbish on Ancestry (as I'm sure you know from personal experience when looking at "hints" from public member trees!) but you can't do it on Lives...

If you already have access to the records via other routes, you can do everything else without subscribing (if you have a 12-month FMP sub, I believe you can get free access to Lives as well, they just need to confirm your subscription details).

I have an FMP subscription but have not been able to fathom how the two sites can be linked without paying yet another subscription.

Any hints?