Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers First World War Pair. Possible Royal Fusiliers

leelaw65

I have a pair marked to A Thomas. 2nd Lieut. I have found an A Thomas in the medal index cards on Ancestry (sorry tried to send as attachment but failed) who seems to fit the bill but it's not a recogniable MIC that pops up - something else and states him as being eligible 29/8/19. He comes from Thornton Heath Surrey according to the MIC address and I traced a chap of this name from Thornton Heath born around 1900. The LG shows his commission 28/5/19 Royal Fusiliers and I'm wondering if (assuming this is my man) whether my chap may have served in Russia after the end of the war.

The MIC is curious and I'm wondering if this may be because he was entitled to his medals after the war ended and if a different card was used. The Royal Fusiliers certainly seem to have been there at this time. First world wae medal entitlement was extended for those fighting in Russia.

Any help and thoughts would be gratefully received.

regards, Chris

It may be a card indicating his eligibility for the Silver War Badge, rather than an Medal Index Card.

i did wonder about that but nothing in the swb records that i could see.also the 1919 eligibiity date is puzzling. chris

The fact that there was no record of a SWB being issued to him does not mean that it is not a card indicating his eligibility for the Silver War Badge. During the Great War an officer who was invalided out of the service for sickness or on account of wounds usually had that fact noted in the London Gazette and this made him eligible for the SWB. This fact was often noted on a 'SWB card' and/or his MIC even though though no SWB was ever issued (officers had to apply for issuance of the SWB). The date that is listed is the date of the London Gazette notice.

ok, thank you for this. all duly noted ! regards, Chris