Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Made in the U.S.A.

calibre792x57.y

I seem to be acquiring bayonets long after I gave up collecting them. The Pattern 1907 is a Remington made 1 in a 100, 000. The blade is a bit grubby and the blueing faded, but it is absolutely original with no post War inspection marks and never had the clearing hole in the pommel added. Most I have seen have been modified. The date of acceptance is November 1915, often seen on this variation. The Pattern 1913, while quite common, Remington having made many more than the Patt. '07, is in nice condition and is dated April 1916. The pommel has, for me, an unusual stamp, figures 6 over 387. I suppose this to be a rack number but there is no indication of unit - Home Guard?. Against this is the Remington made scabbard which is still in brown leather. Neither were expensive by the standards of recently acquired other bayonets.-SW

post-47661-0-46282800-1405782854_thumb.p

SW,

The British Pattern 1907 bayonet made by Remington is a nice bayonet to have, as Remington only made 100,000 Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonets for the British Army.

Attached is a photo of 4 different Remington bayonets in my Collection, the Pattern 1907 is top right, also a close up of the Remington Pattern 1907 bayonet's ricasso.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-17612300-1405697228_thumb.j

post-63666-0-98334400-1405697244_thumb.j

I seem to be acquiring bayonets long after I gave up collecting them. The Pattern 1907 is a Remington made 1 in a 100, 000. The blade is a bit grubby and the blueing faded, but it is absolutely original with no post War inspection marks and never had the clearing hole in the pommel added. The date of acceptance is November 1915, often seen on this variation. The Pattern 1913, while quite common, Remington having made many more than the Patt. '07, is in nice condition and is dated April 1916. The pommel has, for me, an unusual stamp, figures 6 over 387. I suppose this to be a rack number but there is no indication of unit - Home Guard?. Against this is the Remington made scabbard which is still in brown leather.

Looking forward to photographs!

Sorry about that Trajan - the site didn't like the means I used to post the photo.! Should be okay now. - SW

SW, a good photo of some very nice bayonets. I especially like the brown leather scabbard. Nice acquisitions.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Sorry about that Trajan - the site didn't like the means I used to post the photo.! Should be okay now. - SW

Indeed it is! And what a nice scabbard!

I have one just like that but in slightly shabbier condition with most of the blueing gone and the grips being a slightly worse for wear, also the butt of the pommel seems to have been used as a hammer!

Mine is dated 9/15 and like your example has no clearence hole or post war inspection marks; I paid €42 from a seller in France, although it didn't have a scabbard.

post-59637-0-31010100-1406372614_thumb.j

post-59637-0-28650700-1406372637_thumb.j

post-59637-0-69728700-1406372661_thumb.j

post-59637-0-41507200-1406372681_thumb.j

post-59637-0-70491300-1406372696_thumb.j

Just about all of my bayonets have been used as a hammer at some point - in some cases really bu**ering up the catch... :devilgrin:

VERY nice (and rare) find for Eu 42, even if sans scabbard! Nice clear marks too - I know very little about these Remington's, but I assume that the inspector's mark on the left (top as viewed) - crown/2/A represents the US of A based inspector, the other mark, crown/K5/E is the Enfield mark.

I wonder if the pommel bruising are a result of being hard to remove from the bayonet boss and being struck/hammered to achieve its release. I have had a few that because of even small damage to the boss the bayonet would go on but was difficult to remove. In my workshop I would use a nylon hammer, in the field who knows what. Not related but I remember my Dad I think, looking at an old triangular socket bayonet of mine and commenting that the bruising to the socket was caused by them being hammered into the ground for use as a candle holder, being issued for that purpose.

khaki

I wonder if the pommel bruising are a result of being hard to remove from the bayonet boss and being struck/hammered to achieve its release. I have had a few that because of even small damage to the boss the bayonet would go on but was difficult to remove. In my workshop I would use a nylon hammer, in the field who knows what. Not related but I remember my Dad I think, looking at an old triangular socket bayonet of mine and commenting that the bruising to the socket was caused by them being hammered into the ground for use as a candle holder, being issued for that purpose.

khaki

Use as tent pegs and as horse-tethering pins is also possible for those socket jobs. But with regard to knife bayonets, I would doubt that the catch springs would have frozen during regular use. In my experience, 8 times out of 10 WD 40 frees up even the most rigid of catches on my WW1 bayonets - and some of these must have been frozen for literally donks, yet the springs are evidently fine. The only ones of mine that liberal use of WD 40 and a gentle tap afterwards have not freed up (yet!) are those that have their pommels battered over after use for hammering, and one pesky relic 98/05 I found in the Syrian desert years ago, which simply refuses to free up after two treatments...

. But with regard to knife bayonets, I would doubt that the catch springs would have frozen during regular use. ..

It's not the catch springs that I meant although they of course can seize up if neglected, in my experience it's more often than not been caused by deformation of the rifle bayonet boss which is rather exposed to potential damage. I have rectified some with limited use of a file to even out working edges that have become burred by receiving a hard knock at some time.

regards

khaki

Last weekend at Kelmarsh I got the following two bayonets - a 1913 Pattern bayonet and a French 1866 pattern Chassepot bayonet dated 1871. I actually wouldn't have bought the 1913 Pattern bayonet given its condition except for the fact the seller was offering the two for £25 (£10 for the 1913 Pattern, but wouldn't do the 1866 on it's own for £15, and I have always wanted one):

The two together:

http://postimg.org/image/p7mahpwkd/full/

RIMG1789.jpg

Markings on left side - pattern mark of 1913, date mark for January 1917, Remington makers mark:

http://postimg.org/image/gsj8dldo9/full/

RIMG1791.jpg

Markings on right side - Government property broad arrow, bend test X, two inspectors marks (with A for America):

http://postimg.org/image/4euju70dj/full/

RIMG1792.jpg

Condition is generally poor - blade bent off true, metal grey and pitted overall, locking button appears to have been deliberately peened in place with a now loose spring, and the original grips are gone and have been replaced with two otherwise very well carved replacements that have been simply glued in place. A hard life! Traces of khaki paint remain on the locking button.

Pity about the grips...

Andrew, you can get original 'new' replacement grips with screws on ebay for about £15, just search for 'P1907 wood grips' the seller has all sorts of Enfield bits and pieces.

Andrew, you can get original 'new' replacement grips with screws on ebay for about £15, just search for 'P1907 wood grips' the seller has all sorts of Enfield bits and pieces.

Would those screws fit a P 1903? I have a P 1903 lacking one grip screw...

Would those screws fit a P 1903? I have a P 1903 lacking one grip screw...

I couldn't say as I don't have a P1903 to compare to my P1907's, but I would think they are likely to be the same looking at pictures?

Pity about the grips...

Indeed, though the effort someone went to in making the replacements is interesting in itself as a part of its history.

Whilst normal 1907 grips would fit, they would also not be correct as the 1913 grips should have the two grooves to immediately show it is not for the SMLE. I don't plan to keep it, so it can be a potential restoration project for someone else.

How are those grips attached?

Chris

Quite by coincidence, a P1913 has just turned up for sale on the local trader here in Turkey - complete with a regular scabbard. Seems to be a Remington and has the double-scored grips. Whatever, the first of its kind I have seen over here in 3 and a bit years of collecting. Rumour has it that Turkey got some SMLE's and bayonets after WW2 but I have no idea where this might have come from.

How are those grips attached?

Chris

...the original grips are gone and have been replaced with two otherwise very well carved replacements that have been simply glued in place.

Ah yes - thanks.

I can't find it now Trajan, but I have seen a photo of a group of Commandos on a MGB in the Aegean during 'the other War' - at least one was equipped with a P'14 rifle, so they were definitely in the area. - SW

Very good point there - IIRC it was the LRDG who took Castelloritzo, only 1.5 km from the Turkish mainland, and perhaps Chalki also, so, yes could have been left behind and then or later made its way over here.

JB

PS: Yes, the LRDesertGroup were involved in the initial short-lived re-capture of the Dodecanese in the other war - they needed a job after Tunisia and so once the Italians pulled out of things they were sent in!