Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery question

gem22

I have a soldier, 277142 Gnr Harwood GW who served with RGA from 1896-1904; and then in the reserve until1908. He reenlisted on 5 Sept 1914 and went to France on 6 June 1915. I've copied his MIC and what remains of his burnt records but I cannot be sure which battery he served with. I know he was returned home with severe head wound with skull fracture on or about 1 August 1915. He was discharged physically unfit in December 1915 and DOW in 1917.

I cannot find a SWB mention nor can I work out his battalion/battery, etc. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have his medal roll entries; will they help if I do a search?

Garth

part of his record shows him serving in '30th Trench Battery' .[see ancestry page 136943] .i.e. 30th Trench Howitzer?Mortar Battery.. .. also note in 'T? M Battery ' on top right of one copy of his attestation papers... formed in 1915 from men sent up from Base details to 2nd Army Trench Mortar School where these units were forming.. ; no diary survives for them as far as I know but it included a 2Lt Morgans in June 1915.. these early trench mortar units suffered many casualties summer 1915.. mainly in Ypres area ..

Thanks

Battiscombe I had seen the 30 but thought it might relate to 30 Div and their diary is of no help. Howver if 30th TMB existed as a battery then that's a good possibility - pity no diary.

Garth

30th Trench Battery is mentioned in a number of other early Trench Mortar/Howitzer Batteries formed in april-may-june 1915 and trained at the 2nd Army Trench Mortar school at Berthen. ..The date of his posting fits with several other RGA men I have come across..in 20th.. 22nd ..26th ...38th.. amongst other early batteries.. many also treated at 12 Field Ambulance like Harwood. I think you will find a few casualties also listed for them in 1915..

Hi Garth

if you look at his pension record under Reg No 2142 you will see that he was wounded on the 3rd of July 1915 at Ypres, posted to 30 Trench Battery before being wounded, Then 12th field ambulance to 10th CCS then 16th Ambulance Train onto 8th Static Hospital, to UK via H S Anglia, this might narrow it down a bit

Dave