Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On 10/04/2018 at 11:07, Ron Clifton said:

Edward "Fruity" Metcalfe. Best man to the Duke of Windsor, and married into the family of "a most superior person."

Ron

Well done.

Edward "Fruity" Dudley Metcalfe, MVO, MC, Major, 3 Skinner's Horse, later Flying Officer, RAF. He was married to Alexandra Naldera Curzon, which made Oswald Mosley his brother in law.

The photo comes from The Viceroy's Daughters, de Courcy (which was my main source). I cropped his wife out.

He went to France in 1940 as equerry to the DoW and found when he got there that no arrangement had been made to pay him. I can recommend reading his letters about the DoW's hasty departure in 1940.

I wondered about cropping him from that picture, but I thought it might be too well known. I hadn't noticed the large rising sun behind them before. Must have been a bit embarrassing a few years later.

And his (Fruity's) grandson set up Pret a Manger.

I have learned a lot about the men who have been suggested along the way. Thank you.

RM

RM

26 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Well done.

Edward "Fruity" Dudley Metcalfe, MVO, MC, Major, 3 Skinner's Horse, later Flying Officer, RAF. He was married to Alexandra Naldera Curzon, which made Oswald Mosley his brother in law.

The photo comes from The Viceroy's Daughters, de Courcy (which was my main source). I cropped his wife out.

He went to France in 1940 as equerry to the DoW and found when he got there that no arrangement had been made to pay him. I can recommend reading his letters about the DoW's hasty departure in 1940.

I wondered about cropping him from that picture, but I thought it might be too well known. I hadn't noticed the large rising sun behind them before. Must have been a bit embarrassing a few years later.

I have learned a lot about the men who have been suggested along the way. Thank you.

RM

RM

Good post rolt, and well solved by Ron.

This chap was part of one the hardest fighting and renowned units that fought in the war. Yet he was killed by a penknife. Who is he???

20180410_153626.png.7f62abcbcadc2f73dd941924d9987837.png

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

Yes- funny how some of today's " made it on my own"  merchants just happen to have access to "old money" somewhere in their backgrounds.

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A Harlem Hellfighter? Henry Johnson?

Harlem Hellfighter yes, but not Henry Johnson. 

My chap was an officer. (Not n.c.o.)

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Harlem Hellfighter yes, but not Henry Johnson. 

My chap was an officer. (Not n.c.o.)

James Reece.

EDIT: AKA James Reese, Jim Europe.

Edited by Uncle George

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

James Reece.

EDIT: AKA James Reese, Jim Europe.

Yes. Renowned band-leader, and dubbed the "Martin Luther King of music".

Tragically killed in a fit of temper by one of his own musicians. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Reese_Europe

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

admiration

He certainly wouldn't make it into any book of mine that might be entitled "Those to be admired", but an interesting W.I.T. nonetheless. 

I think P G Wodehouse used "cove" quite a bit. It was not always adverse but it usually seemed to carry a certain degree of questionable behaviour or shiftiness.

Ron

As far as i'm concerned, it just means chap.  The meaning is all in the preceding adjective.

I could be wrong. We need a librarian, a nautical cove if possible.

6 minutes ago, IPT said:

As far as i'm concerned, it just means chap.  The meaning is all in the preceding adjective.

Thanks matey, I wondered if that was the case. sJ may be along later, hopefully she's recovered from the tight-Gary-Cooper-trousers induced turn that she suffered. Although if she ignored M.V's health warning and looked up why that young Metcalfe cove was excused gym she might have been further affected. Hope not.

17 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think P G Wodehouse used "cove" quite a bit. It was not always adverse but it usually seemed to carry a certain degree of questionable behaviour or shiftiness.

It might be worth me checking if he used it in relation to Roderick Spode; Metcalfe senior sounds like he might have liked the cut of his jib.

Pete.

16 minutes ago, IPT said:

Surely not a reference to the delightful SJ...........     You must mean:

Rum Cove (64°6′S 58°25′WCoordinates: 64°6′S 58°25′W) is a cove indenting the northwest coast of James Ross Island between Tumbledown Cliffs and Cape Obelisk. Named in 1983 by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee (UK-APC) in association with the names of other alcoholic spirits on this coast.

I wonder how many parallel universes it would be necessary to switch into before that came up in conversation? That said it's probably all they talk about round the coffee machine at the British Antarctic Survey.....

Pete.

And since this thread purports to have something to do with photos would anyone like to hazard a guess here. Clue: the photo came from the blog of one of the forum's most distinguished experts.....

image.jpeg.322406f7f6deba9089e273066611e94c.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I wonder how many parallel universes it would be necessary to switch into before that came up in conversation? That said it's probably all they talk about round the coffee machine at the British Antarctic Survey.....

Pete.

And since this thread purports to have something to do with photos would anyone like to hazard a guess here. Clue: the photo came from the blog of one of the forum's most distinguished experts.....

I think the cat is "Tiddles". No idea who the Machine Gun Corps officer is though. Will that do?

It certainly won't do, and you know it. I'm shocked, shocked to find levity going on in this thread, I think it's important that we are earnest.

Another cluette; when I say a distinguished forum member's blog I'm displaying my ignorance of the whole social media universe.........

If a writer wanted to create a character who was (a) a rum cove and (b) an officer in the Machine Gun Corps, he may well give him the name, L'Estrange Fawcett:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Estrange_Fawcett

EDIT: I see his full name was Arthur Wellesley L'Estrange Fawcett. Rummer and rummer.

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

Pete. I think it's Percy, the mascot of Daphne, and the pet belonging to Harry Drader. This is most likely brief footage of them.

Answer found here :

http://cats-chaos-and-confusion.com/wordpress/percy-the-ww1-tank-cat/

Edited by neverforget

were the crew's helmets official or of local production?

Dear Ernest.

My apologies

Apology accepted Algernon.......

Here's another pistol-packer for our sJ.

The trousers might not come up to scratch, but perhaps the thigh-hugging boots go someway to compensate.

This- shall we say- dandy, joined up in plenty of time, but due to all the faffing about, I don't think he actually saw any real action. 

Probably not a bad thing actually. The way he's holding that shooter I doubt if he'd manage to hit a Jerry at 5 paces.

fp.jpg.f852bc42ebc207e5aa5d172b903db741.jpg

Now-  Of course, it was Percy- but the accursed things all look the same. A search of Mr. Google's Apparatus on "Harry Drader" and "Percy" throws up this image. Now-call me old fashioned, pedantic and a scrupulous fuss-pot for details- and with all due respect(in the circumstances) to a fellow GWF member with knowledge of "tankie" matters,who I shall refrain from naming but merely refer to as "GD"- well, I venture to suggest that this was just a soupcon outside  regulation dress uniform for British tankies of the Great War....Only just mind you.   One of great images of the war. 

Image result for harry drader percy

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Here's another pistol-packer for our sJ.

The trousers might not come up to scratch, but perhaps the thigh-hugging boots go someway to compensate.

This- shall we say- dandy, joined up in plenty of time, but due to all the faffing about, I don't think he actually saw any real action. 

Probably not a bad thing actually. The way he's holding that shooter I doubt if he'd manage to hit a Jerry at 5 paces.

fp.jpg.f852bc42ebc207e5aa5d172b903db741.jpg

Is he Fred Thomson?