Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/4th glostershire reg 1916

Guest geelong

Guest geelong

gidday all ive just joined the forum and was hoping that i could gain some info on my great grandfather who was killed near Albert i think ,in july 9 1916 he was in the 1st/4th glostershire reg . ive done some research and found that he is in the colincamps war cemetry and that he was attached to the 48th division 144th brigade but cant find out where he might of died on or before the date he was listed as killed on the cwwgc any info would be great my ggfathers name is prv henry george coles he was 27 years old

Graeme is correct with the battalions details.

Normally the Gloucestershire Museum soldier info is very accurate in regards to the battalion

details as it is taken off the medal rolls at the NA. In this case I think it should show 1/4th. There

are also discrepancies in death details. SDGW shows the 19/7/1916 and in the grave registration

forms at the CWGC it shows on one form the 1/7/1916. The scenario on the 9th July fits better

with the 1/4th. I have checked the 2/4th Diary for the 9th and it states that they were in reserve and

casualties were 3 Other ranks wounded. The 1/4th states ;

" At 12.30am enemy shelled MONK and EXCEMA heavily with 5.9's obtaining several direct hits. These

shells fell on a working party killing 2/Lt H.P.FISHER (K.S.L.I. attached) and five men and wounding one man.

They were buried in SUCRERIE cemetery at 4pm. "

They were in trenches in front of SERRE.

All the men (six) buried in that cemetery on the 9th July were with the 1/4th so I am certain he was the 1/4th.

Hope it helps.

Guest geelong

thank you everyone for that wealth of info look forward to passing it on to my dad, thanks again ,hope i can contribute something one day cheers john