Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds Pals, 15th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.

leelaw65

I wonder if anybody may have access to the war diary for this battalion and can see if there is any reference to 2nd Ltd Richard Seddon Deverell who died at home on 4th November 1916 and is buried at Nunhead Cemetry. he arrived in France on 13th July 1916 after the initail onslaught when the Leeds Pals were decimated. I have checked the regimental history and the Pals do not appear to have been in action after the beginning of July so am wondering how this chap died.

regards, Chris

I wonder if anybody may have access to the war diary for this battalion and can see if there is any reference to 2nd Ltd Richard Seddon Deverell who died at home on 4th November 1916 and is buried at Nunhead Cemetry. he arrived in France on 13th July 1916 after the initail onslaught when the Leeds Pals were decimated. I have checked the regimental history and the Pals do not appear to have been in action after the beginning of July so am wondering how this chap died.

regards, Chris

You need to check his Officers Service Papers which should be available at the National Archives, these should answer your question.

Robert

Chris, I've checked his MIC, and he died 4/11/1916.

During that time they began tours of duty in the Hebtuterne sector in 21 October before the Sailly Aubois on 11 November, so it looks like the action in Hebuterne is what you need to be looking for.

I shall see if there is any other info to hand.

There are a couple of useful sources detailing the Leeds Pals, Laurie Milner's excellent book provides an excellent narrative of their movements and names individuals who were involved in the action and those who died.

Have you seen the Wood families web-site www.leeds-pals.com ?

It has information on the regiment and many of the soldiers are listed and background details to give you a flavour of what they were about.

The Service Papers will tell you about your man's activity.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Robert, james, Kim - many thanks for your time and advice contained in your posts. regards, Chris

Good evening Chris.

Drop me a PM if you get the chance. Milner is a start point, good book, but some of the research conducted by one source quoted, is a bit 'thin.'

I have the War Diary, plus, some extracts of letters of men, obituaries, serving in this period.

Best wishes.

Chris.