Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Bn. 3rd, New Zealand Rifle Brigade

Lawryleslie

Does anybody where I can find where this unit was fighting just before or on 9 September 1918? I know they were on the Western Front but cannot identify in which offensive.

Hi

Gouzeaucourt Wood & Trescault Valley

involved from 4am in attack on German positions between Wood and Gouzeaucourt

Regards Roger

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I am researching a soldier's death on 19 Aug 1917 while he was in the 3rd Battalion, NZ Rifle Brigade, 3rd. I am looking for where the unit was and what it was doing etc. Is there a war diary other than the NZ Rifle Brigade book on NZETC? Thanks for any help.

Unit Diaries

The unit diaries of the 1st NZ Expeditionary Force were systematically collected to provide material for later published histories of New Zealands efforts in the First World War. Unit Diaries from the war are held in Wellington under Unit name. [WA 1-252]

Each unit has its own series number. A series list for each unit shows what items are held and their time periods. Usually a diary part/file covers a calendar month. Each one needs to be ordered individually.

The unit diaries often include Routine Orders and information on the activities and movements of the unit. Few individuals are mentioned by name.

Source: http://archives.govt.nz/research/guides/war#first

Mark