Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Cateau

Anthony Pigott

We're having a few days in France next week (half-term), staying in Le Cateau (seemed like as good a place as any ;) ).

I shall go armed with a selection of books and maps and will visit the obvious sites in and around the town. I wondered whether others who've been before had any suggestions for the not so obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Anthony

It would be good if you get the chance to make your way to the plaques which commemorate the first and last actions of the war, both on the same road. St Symphorien cemetery is worth seeing as well, some interesting headstones in there. Try also visiting the bridge on the Nimy canal where the first two VC's of the war were won.

• Admin

Morning Anthony

I was lucky enough to have a week staying at Ors earlier this year, which was fantastic for exploring the early days and the last days of the war. I'd say that a visit to Etreux is a must, and there is a fantastic Boucherie next to the maison de la presse in the town.

Also the Mormal forest is fascinating, with some selsom visited cemeteries. Maroilles is well worth a look, you can really make sense of the Berkshires action there, and get some fabulously smelly cheese into the bargain!

And of course Ors, and the little village of Pommereuil, some good walks through the bois l'Eveque.

If you like honey, there is a great roadside place south of Bavay, another place well worth a look.

Enjoy, I'm envious, it's one of my favourite places on the Western Front along with the Aisne............

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Opening on Monday at the wonderful Matisse bithplace museum in Le Cateau is what sounds like a great exhibition called 'Matisse et les couleurs des tissus'. We have a ferry booked for Sunday mainly to go & see that. Also not far (following the retreat to St Quentin) is Fresnoy le Grand with the invaluable Le Creuset factory shop which isn't far from Joncourt where Owen and the Manchesters were in action on the way to Ors. And just beyond is Riqueval and all the excitements of the Canal tunnel and the Hindenburg Line. And north to Bavay, with its exposed Roman town and fortified Le Quesnoy, liberated by the NZs.

Oh yes, an interesting patch!

Matt, by the way, seems to be up the road in Mons. If you go, look out for the Malplaquet memorial north of Bavay.

At Ors, is also the grave of Wilfred Owen.

Many thanks Matt, Michelle and Graham for all those ideas. I'm not leaving until Tuesday so if anyone has any further ideas... The children tell me we have to go to the snail farm at Le Cateau. :unsure:

Regards

Anthony

...Keeps getting better doesn't it.

And, I gather, there's the Abbey brewery. :)

Anthony

Anthony,

Hope you will be taking lots of pics for the sharing of?

Like your avtar, Hail the leader.

have a great time

Arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the advice. All went well and I managed to spend quite a bit of time where the 2nd Suffolks stood, visited the cemeteries at Reumont and Le Cateau, along with the Matisse museum, the brewery (also a restaurant), some shopping and a few decent meals, keeping the family reasonable happy too. :) We also drove around the roads and villages to the immediate south. It really helps to put things in context when you see the actual places.

I'll post some pictures and thoughts on the appropriate threads in due course.

Oh, and look what I found just outside our hotel....

Regards

Anthony

post-12-1099611118.jpg

Close-up:

post-12-1099611188.jpg

Glad you had a good time and look foward to the pics.

regards

Arm.

Close-up:

I wonder why the 1918 memorial is a trough - were the first liberators cavalry? ;)

Anthony

were the first liberators cavalry

No they were not to my knowledge. This is quite clever really, in the days when everything was horse powered, if you wanted to water your horse you had to go to the memorial.This way it was not going to be forgotten.

Roop