Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles - 11/9/18

KIRKY

Hi

been asked by a friend of my Dads if I can found out what was going on on or around 11/9/18 with D Co, 1st Batt Royal Irish Rifles. His relative was one Cpl Joseph Harry Walton, 7645.

If anyone can make an old man very happy then please help!

tony

On the 8th sept the 1st R.Ir.Rif relieved the 24th RWF (94th Infantry bgde) in the line between Hyde park corner and the Douve as well as relieveong one platoon og the 2nd irish rifles at in the front line between Douve and Gooseberry corner..LT col Hunt rejoined and resumed command 10th sept...the next day 11-09-18 2/lt JC Haig was wounded and the next day they were relieved in the Hill 63 sector!...thats all I have...sorry

Walton was born...Willenhall Staffs

enlisted Darlaston

and lived in Wolverhampton

That is great. I am a "Sommeman" so do not recognise these areas , can you tell me where this was?

Thanks again

I'll leave the geography to others ;)

In this month the 1st R.Ir.Rif replacements totalled 3 officers 189 men...one officer dead 15 men killed and 82 wounded..

11th-sept 20484 Rfn Henry Duncan also died.

That is great. I am a "Sommeman" so do not recognise these areas , can you tell me where this was?

Thanks again

Hi

Please found on this url relative picture

http://www.ww1plugstreet.org/

http://64.49.232.153/plugstreet/themes/the...=database&pos=1

If you need other picture from hill 63 , ples let me know, this is near my house

Regards

van Elslande JM

• 2 months later...

Here is the full entry from the war diary for that month.

1/9/18 MONT NOIR AREA. The Battalion proceeded to NEUVE EGLISE Area in Divisional Support. Battalion HQ at RAG FARM. C.S.M. W. Clarke (8519) proceeded to the United Kingdom for a 6 months tour of duty.

2/9/18 Line. One Other Rank wounded.

4/9/18 Support. Two Other Ranks killed and two Other Ranks wounded.

5-6/9/18 Front Line MN. The Battalion relieved the 2nd Bn. in the line. 4 Other Ranks wounded.

6/9/18 12 Other Ranks wounded. 2/Lt. A. S. B. Tutty was admitted to hospital NYD.N. 2/Lt. W. A. S. McPherson appointed Acting Captain whilst commanding a Company. 36 Other Ranks joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and were posted to the Battalion.

7/9/18 7 Other Ranks killed, 28 wounded.

8/9/18 The Battalion relieved the 24th Bn. Royal Welch Fusiliers (94 Infantry Brigade) in the line between HYDE PARK Corner and the DOUVE and also one platoon of the 2nd Bn. R. I. Rifles in the front line between DOUVE and GOOSEBERRY Farm. 1 Other rank killed, 7 wounded. The 15th Bn. R. I. Rifles relieved this Battalion in the line previously held.

9/9/18 8 Other Ranks wounded. 2/Lt. A. M. Bourke, Connaught Rangers, joined the Battalion.

10/9/18 2 Other Ranks killed, 3 wounded. Lt. Col. J. P. Hunt, D.S.O., D.C.M., rejoined the Battalion from hospital and took over command.

11/9/18 2/Lt. J. C. Haigh wounded. 3 Other Ranks killed, 12 wounded. Lieut. J. L. Creighton, R. I. Fusiliers joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and was posted to the Battalion.

12/9/18 The Battalion was relieved by the 15th Bn. R. I. Rifles in the Hill 63 Sector, and this Battalion (1st) relieved the 2nd Bn. R. I. Rifles in the NEUVE EGLISE LINE (Old GHQ Line) Support. 2/Lt. T. Farley was admitted to hospital NYD.N. 5 Other Ranks wounded.

13/9/18 Support. 21 Other Ranks joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and were posted to the Battalion.

15/9/18 The Battalion was relieved by the 2nd Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and proceeded to PIEBROUCK - BERTHEN Training Area. Battalion HQ situated in BERTHEN CHATEAU.

17/9/18 14 Other Ranks joined the Battalion from Reception Camp.

18/9/18 Major J. A. Mulholland, M.C., proceeded to the United Kingdom for 6 months tour of duty. 16 Other Ranks joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and were posted to the Battalion. 75 Other Ranks joined the Battalion from Reception Camp.

19/9/18 The Battalion moved by road to TERDEGHEM. Transport accompanied the Battalion. Lieut. W. F. Hogg, M.C., appointed Acting Captain (Additional).

20/9/18 The Battalion moved by road to BISSEZEELE. Transport accompanied the Battalion.

23/9/18 One Other Rank proceeded to the United Kingdom for a temporary commission. 5 Other Ranks joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and were posted to the Battalion.

25/9/18 Major E. R. H. May joined the Battalion from the 15th Bn. R. I. Rifles and took over Second in Command.

26/9/18 The Battalion moved by road to TUNNELLING CAMP (near PROVEN) accompanied by Bn. Transport.

27/9/18 The Battalion moved by road to "P" Camp (on the POPERINGHE - WOESTEN Road). Transport accompanied the Battalion. 11 Other Ranks joined 36th Divisional Reception Camp and were posted to the Battalion.

28/9/18 The Battalion moved by rail to the WHITE CHATEAU Area, EAST of YPRES on the YPRES - MENIN Road. Battalion transport moved by road.

29/9/18 The Battalion moved by road to WESTHOEK to Divisional Support and occupied "PILL" Boxes in this area. Lieut. J. L. Creighton, R. I. Fusiliers, joined the Battalion and was appointed Battalion Burial Officer.

30/9/18 6 a.m. The Battalion moved to BECELAERE areas (NORTH), still in Divisional Support, and at 4.30 p.m. the same day moved to a position 600 yards E. of TERHAND. Battalion HQ in a "PILL BOX". Companies and Battalion HQ personnel took up positions along hedges in support of the 2nd Bn. 1

Honours and Awards:

The following decorations were awarded to Officers, N.C.O.s and Riflemen during the month:

Military Cross

2/Lt. (a/Capt.) W. A. S. McPherson.

2/Lt. J. Haslett.

D.C.M.

No. 16549 L/Cpl. R. Herdman.

Military Medals

No. 40615 L/Cpl. W. Yardley.

No. 41678 Rfn. W. Woodruf.

No. 43978 Sgt. F. Robertson.

No. 9876 Sgt. C. Lawrence.

No. 12211 L/Cpl. J. Montgomery.

In the Field. W. C. Whelan, 2/Lt., a/Adjutant,

10th October 1918. 1st Bn. The Royal Irish Rifles.

My great great uncle Will Gearey was a corporal serving with 1 Bn Royal Irish Rifles at this time but was sadly killed on 4th October 1918 which I believe was the last day the Bn was in the front line. He suffered an injury and was evacuated where he met his brother in law and was pleased because he'd earned himself a "blighty". He got in an ambulance and as it pulled away his brother in law watched it get hit by a German shell killing him instantly.

Hi,

Hyde park Corner, in Loker (NW Kemmelhill) - Close to "Loker hoekjes" along the road from Loker to De Klytte.

Douve = brook , (Mont Noir, then south of Dranouter, (boundary between Dranouter and Nieuwkerke (Neuve-Eglise) Wulvergem, Boundary between Warneton and Messines and to the Lys

Terdeghem and Bissezeele in France

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi

passed all info to my dads friend who was very impressed so thanks to all of you guys. However, he asked me if I can get him a copy of a map for this area, so anyone help?

tony

• 13 years later...

Not sure if anyone still tracking this story...My great-grandfather Rifleman John Watt was with the RIR at Neuve Eglise as above and gassed on 7 and 11 September. 1918. He survived. I have his service records. The extract from war diaries (above) tells the story and quantifies the wounded but not what actually happened in the gas attack. I plan to visit the site next year....