Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1914 W234505 date of manufacture?

ssj

Hi,

I have seen odd posts on dates by serial number can anyone tell me my one please?

Also the barrel has been replaced but I cannot see any definitive marks except maybe a E with tails on its own and the broad arrow no determinable dates but some misc inspectors stamps. I am just curious on who made and when? spare barrels?

W234505 has just had its birthday.

It was accepted at the factory by British inspectors in week ending 7 July 1917.

The new barrel may well have been put on at Weedon. Does it still have volley sights?

Regards

TonyE

Hi, No it has not been Weedon'd. It is fairly original/complete except the stock appears to have been heavily sanded. I cant seem to upload pics as they are too big.

Oh well.

It appears to have been used and kept as a target rifle so is one of the best examples Ive seen so far for sale. The rear volley sight is snapped off so I need to get a replacement for that though. The rear sight leaf has the wrong serial number but is stamped W, and the webbing brackets are either stamped E or MA so need to be replaced with Ws, but since its been so heavily sanded I doubt its worth the effort.

Do you know what the last serial number was? this number seems very high, close to one of the last made?

The limit is 250KB total per post (and dimensionally 1200x1600pixels)

If you reduce them to 100dpi you can post a good size image with good detail and a small file size

like this

post-14525-0-48343300-1405489322_thumb.j

P14s in Service in the UK.(69kb)

or this

post-14525-0-23575100-1405489427_thumb.j

at 21kb

well I can see your disc and nicely refinished stock!

I see you have used a PNG file, FYI PNG files are usually quite a bit bigger than Jpgs and while they are better for line drawings and texts (they originate as a higher quality alternative to GIFs) for photos the extra information they maintain is wasted and doesn't really improve the image as viewed. Saving files as jpg will allow you to post several in the thread (your image would be @25kb as a low quality jpg of the same size and with little significant quality loss)

Chris