Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GW Museums

Khaki

What makes a museum a rewarding visit that makes you want to return?, apart from restroom and cafeteria facilities. I personally look not only at what's displayed, but how it's displayed. The actual techniques used in mounting a display so that nothing visually detracts. I don't like seeing racks of rifles and walls of medals. . Some of the best displays I have seen have been done by regimental museums, where less is more. .

What's your thoughts on likes and dislikes

khaki

I may be biased but I like the present GW display in the new HMS gallery at the National Museum of the RN Portsmouth. Particularly because everything is visible & legible from both wheelchair and standing height.

I may be biased but I like the present GW display in the new HMS gallery at the National Museum of the RN Portsmouth. Particularly because everything is visible & legible from both wheelchair and standing height.

Now that strikes home!

So many times when we took our boys to museums and zoos and I accompanied school parties to the same, I had to keep lifting children up, balancing them on one knee and gritting my teeth until the pain became too much, so the children could get something out of the visit.

So my vote would go for displays such as the above too !!

CGM

I love the National WW1 Museum in Kansas City. The displays tell the whole story of the war, they have the best video presentation on pre-WW1 that I've seen, a terrific shop, changing exhibitions, and the memorial itself is stunning, both inside and the exterior. And the bonus is that you can take a lift up the memorial and take in the views of Kansas City.

Not the sort of museum where I stroll through, stopping to look at one or two displays. This is a museum where almost every display caught my attention.