Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map ref: Modern co-ordinates.

mickrose

Hi,

I've mislaid the modern map co-ordinates for 57d L3a 80. 45. that were given to me a while ago.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

Mick.

Mike,

Thanks for that!

The worrying thing is it is showing this ref. a few yards south of the spot the previous map suggested, that I was shown.

Still in the same back garden, but not a part I could see when I visited.

Another night in Arras is on the cards. . . .

Mick.

Yes that's what I see when I typed in the ref. just now.

But when I was initially shown the spot on the trench map and on a google image it was further north by perhaps 10 to 15 yards.

So when I visited the village I had that spot in my mind. I only walked along the road you see south of it and the road east of it.

So I was able to sort of pinpoint it roughly using my magellan thingy without actually going on the land.

But if todays spot is correct, I never saw it because it was obscured by the building and the high wall that borders the south road.

This is the burial spot of my uncle by Rev. Hardy VC IN 1918.

There was a rumour of an odd ww1 grave in Bucquoy and also this spot was a location of a hospital or mortuary prior to ww1.

So could it have been consecrated ground in some way prior to the war? Probably not, but my first visit

was to just check he didn't actually have a marked grave. It's all rough ground, rising to a high mound as it goes north.

(my father was adamant he had a grave in the village but I've found no family photos of it,

which I'm sure there would be. My lot took loads of pics of themselves standing next to family headstones!)

I'll have to go back and get on the land properly.

Mick.

Mike,

I think the marker is wrong. If you look at the google image you sent me

it shows the degrees minutes, seconds at the bottom. That matches everything.

But when you move your 'hand' over the image it shows it further north to where I first saw it!

I don't know what to believe now!

Mike,

I don't know what to believe now!

Apologies. Don't worry about my marker. I moved mine slightly in order to save the location as a Kmz file, so my mark is not exactly 50.1398, 2.7065 Paste these coordinates into google earth for a more accurate point.

I am not certain you can get the pinpoint accuracy you seem to be looking for, though others may be able to comment on that.

Cheers Mike

I'm confusing myself now. You didn't do it wrong, I'm saying that the co-ordinates showing on the bottom of the google image (that move as you wander over it)

actually match the spot I was first given. Your marker is correct to the co-ordinates.

So it shows N 50. 08. 23. 87 but you have to move your 'hand' up to where I was first shown to get those numbers to appear.

Am I making sense Mike?

I'm almost happy Mike! If I walk over the land with my little magellan triton do you think I can trust it?

Had to google, but I imagine they would be pretty accurate. I think you will be close enough? It's making the effort that counts?

Mike