Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10 Worcestershire Regiment

GraemeClarke

Morning

Struggling a bit with the 10th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment.

I have men recorded as being killed with the 10th between March and June 1918 but cannot find any War Diary.

I understand they were merged with the 3rd Battalion on 23 June 1918 but the War Diary at the NA only seems to go up to February 1918.

Am I missing something ? Where is the diary between February and June 1918 ??

can anyone point me in the right direction,

Cheers,

Graeme

Can't help with WD but have a pdf of the Spring Offensive 1918 chapters of the regimental history - lots on 10th Bn....happy to let you have a copy...

Simon

Hi Simon

Cheers, thanks for the offer but I have Stacke's anyway. Its the WD I'm after,

Cheers again,

Graeme

Weren't some WD lost in the Spring Offensive?

Hi

If during the research into the Worcesters anyone comes across Charles Harry Taylor who was commissioned to Second Lieutenant (had previously held the rank of Sergeant).

He was killed in January 1917 in Iraq. He was in the 9th Worcesters but I am wondering if he ever served with any of the other Worcesters battalions.

He is buried at Amara CGC. Cant find much about him.

Thanks

David

David

For the 9th Worcestershires you'll need to visit Kew to get a look at the war diary - reference below.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk.ezproxyd.bham.ac.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=9+worcestershire&_cr1=wo95&_cr2=&_cr3=

The best means of understanding where he served and with whom would be to look up his officer's file at Kew as well. If he served in the ranks it is very likely his service records survive within. It's probably better to look at this before trawling through war diaries of all the Worcestershire Regiment battalions which could be costly in time and expense. A large proportion of officers commissioned from the ranks served in a different regiment to that which they had previously served in.

2nd Lieutenant Charles Harry TAYLOR. The Worcestershire Regiment.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Colin

Graeme, Simon

It is a good reason - especially when the division suffered in March, April and May 1918. But I've some across similar cases where the war diaries were written up later from memory or diaries of prominent officers were used to fill in the blanks. Also it would be expected to see a diary for June 1918.

I think it might be best to consult the 57th Bde diary.

Kind regards

Colin

Edit - Graeme - I've a copy of the diary from a previous visit to Kew - please let me know if you need any look-ups of specific dates.

David

For the 9th Worcestershires you'll need to visit Kew to get a look at the war diary - reference below.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk.ezproxyd.bham.ac.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=9+worcestershire&_cr1=wo95&_cr2=&_cr3=

The best means of understanding where he served and with whom would be to look up his officer's file at Kew as well. If he served in the ranks it is very likely his service records survive within. It's probably better to look at this before trawling through war diaries of all the Worcestershire Regiment battalions which could be costly in time and expense. A large proportion of officers commissioned from the ranks served in a different regiment to that which they had previously served in.

2nd Lieutenant Charles Harry TAYLOR. The Worcestershire Regiment.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks Colin I will get my friend on to it.

David

Graeme, Simon

It is a good reason - especially when the division suffered in March, April and May 1918. But I've some across similar cases where the war diaries were written up later from memory or diaries of prominent officers were used to fill in the blanks. Also it would be expected to see a diary for June 1918.

I think it might be best to consult the 57th Bde diary.

Kind regards

Colin

Edit - Graeme - I've a copy of the diary from a previous visit to Kew - please let me know if you need any look-ups of specific dates.

Thanks If needed I may take you up on your kind offer.

David

• 2 months later...

Hello Graeme,

I think we corresponded on another thread on this forum concerning the 10th Worc Battalion - I am researching family ancestor George W Brush who was awarded the MC for his actions at the Battle of the Lys/Messines in April 1918.

I fear that I may be the bearer of bad news concerning the missing March 1918 war diary.

I am currently reading The Nineteenth Division 1914-18 By Everard Wyrall (Naval & Military Press). The 10th Worcs Battalion was of course part of the 19th Division. Two nights ago I reached the relevant chapter and there in the text the author actually says that the March 1918 war diary for the 10th Worcs is missing. As a result the book is a bit light on information about the 10th Worcs, and focusses instead on other regiments and battalions around that period.

Very disappointing for me and my research because it was for his actions in April 1918 that George Brush won his MC and I had hoped there would be more about the 10th Worcs around that time.

I fear that may be disappointing news for you too.

Wyrall's book was originally written/published in 1932, so the war diary would have been missing well before that I would guess.

Poscript:

Graeme,

I would endorse what Colin Taylor says above.

The 10th Worcs were very active around March-May 1918, took large numbers of casualties, and moved around a good deal (fighting at the Somme, Messines, Aisne, Champagne), and was reduced to cadre strength in June when they joined with the 3rd Batt.

So, plenty of opportunities for the war diary to go missing then, I guess.