Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for sites with photographs

larneman

This site has a very interesting slide show with interesting photographs of Gallipoli.

http://www.geocities.com/~worldwar1/gallipoli.html

Are there any more to be found.

Liam

G'day Liam

By going to www.awm.gov.au selecting "search our collections" by Gallipoli you will find about 4,500 pictures, of which about 3,000 are currently on line. You can refine the search in a number of ways, and set up your own work area to do on line accumulations etc.

Some of the AWM pics have been 'lifted' by 'your' website. For what its worth, the "Charge by Anzacs" picture on your site was apparently staged a considerable time after the supposed event.

ooRoo

Pat

Hi Pat,

It's not mine only wish it was. Wonder who the real owner was of the photographs copywrite. Never heard of any Anzac war correspondants or photographers at Gallipoli. I am sure you will be able to tell me, what is what, As an Aussie you must know nearly everybody in the photographs.

I don't really care who wins the war of the Myth of Gallopi only that my great Uncle went, saw and stayed there.

I will be going one of these years as well, to see but not to stay.

Wish you a nice a day

Liam

G'day Liam

I am genuinely sorry that the Myth of Gallipoli seems to be an issue.

IMHO it does not get raised on this side of the Equator, but is one of the first matters alluded to in many publications, websites etc from up there.

The AWM is not actively engaged in indoctrination. In the search I previously mentioned there are about 500 items under "British" & 125 under "French". The museum also houses and displays items referring to or donated by, Australia's former enemies. Some of the 'misunderstanding' may arise due to the fact that the main area of Aust & NZ action was officially designated Anzac Cove. The name commonly used was Anzac & so the place & the force became almost synonomous.

Down here, Gallipoli also tended to "mean" Anzac, and this would contribute to the feeling that it was "our" Battle. The involvement of non-Anzac troops at 'Anzac' would be less than the involvement of Anzacs at Cape Helles & Suvla which are usually treated as being outside their domain.

There has been some controversy over pictures, particularly 'movies' taken on Gallipoli. In accordance with British regulations, at that time Australia did not have an Official Photographer: Private cameras were banned & had been confiscated. The Official Historian Bean had a camera, as did some of the individual men. The Australian Dailies sent Reporters, but very few pictures were published in their 1915 editions. A collection of pictures by the Melbourne Age man has survived, but like your great uncle he didn't. He felt that he had to join the Army. Some of the pictures, and in fact the 'Scoop" that the Landing had taken place, have been attributed to "The English Correspondent, Mr Ashmead- Bartlett".

It would appear that it is quite acceptable to collect "Australiania" such as stamps books medals etc. without learning about all the alternatives, but once you stray into any study of Anzac, you are expected to know & give credit to every non-Anzac who got himself involved within a 50 mile limit of the Cove.

ooRoo

Pat

Dear Pat,

What I was meaning to say was it does not matter to me who claim the Gallopi front as their own war. I believe that we all view things from the tales of our youth. I read the history of the French Foreign Legion who fought there as well, today. I have a great fondness for them. I have a closeness with the Irish regiments and a great respect for those who went, fought, and stayed on that useless piece of Land no matter were he came from.

That all, sorry if the wrong idea came across. I doubt if those that stayed and then came back today, that it would interest them one little bit who did what and when.

In Holland one of their saying is the best sailors are those standing on the dockside.

I sometimes think the victory claimers are those that sat at home and did nothing. This is not a reflection on you but on the earlier generation of countries that took part. We all suffer from a small degree of brainwashing by our elders.

Liam

We all suffer from a small degree of brainwashing by our elders.

Liam

My particular elders were faced with the difficulty of finding anything to wash.

No aggro intended this end.

Enjoy the pictures

ooRoo

Pat