Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doullens Communal Cemetery: Liu Ping Sheng.

mickrose

I was busy trawling through the newly released documents on the CWGC website and noticed this man.

It's Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension No. 2. LIU PING SHENG.

Firstly the grave location sounds possibly a bit out of the way, but he was the last casualty buried here.

But it was the reference to him on the Graves Registration Report and the Register that surprised me.

I suppose if a man's name is not known, you have to put something, but although I'm aware of the

lack of respect given to some foreign soldiers and labourers, it was still rather sad to see it in black and white.

At least it's been amended, but you'd think the words 'ONE COOLIE' would have been completely obliterated.

I'm sure no disrespect was ever meant, but seeing his grave location may not placate some people.

If you go full screen on the first of the two pictures of the cemetery, it's to the right of the cross, I think.

(dodgy link removed)

Mick.

... although I'm aware of the lack of respect given to some foreign soldiers and labourers, it was still rather sad to see it in black and white.

At least it's been amended, but you'd think the words 'ONE COOLIE' would have been completely obliterated. ...

x

Tom,

That's strange, I checked it after posting it and now it's not even on the right cemetery!

As you say, it's probably due to the burden of the new docs.

But anyway, he's LIU PING SHENG. in Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension No. 2.

I'm not trying to make a serious point and I'm sure this has been debated many times.

But I wondered what proud relatives would think turning up at the cemetery for the first time

particularly if they'd already read the entries I referred to.

Mick.

... Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension No. 2.

x

Sorry Tom!

Because I provided the link (that didn't work) I didn't bother to be specific about which Doullens cemetery!

Mick

Sorry Tom!

Because I provided the link (that didn't work) I didn't bother to be specific about which Doullens cemetery!

Mick