Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kemmel- right sector June/July 1915

IRC Kevin

Can anyone please help me with either a contemporary grid reference, or modern coordinate for the following three trenches in the right sector at Kemmel in June/July 1915? They are H1, H2 and H5. I've tried battalion, several brigade and the division diaries and although the 83 Brigade diary has a wonderful map, it only covers the 'J', 'K' and 'L' positions of the centre sector. (I'm looking at detached companies of 1/5 King's Own attached to 1/KOYLI in H1 and H2 and to 2/East Yorks in H5. All are 28 Division.)

Thanks for that, Eddie. I'd looked there, but I'm not sure they've got that right. (particularly about square 18) Going by the map in the brigade diary, Kemmel's 'centre sector' runs from 18 a.8.8. south to 24c.3.8. Presumably, the 'right sector' should begin there and move south into 30a. and 29b. & d.? Square 18 is the 'L' and 'K' trenches. 24a. is mainly the 'J' trenches (with 'K1' on the join with 18). In the extract of this map below, showing the 'centre sector', only 'H3' is shown, in 24c close to the southern sector boundary. As far as I'm aware, where the map is cut off at H3, this trench ends with a sap, the squiggle of which can be seen just to the east of 'J1' and was the front line. I suspect that 'H4' may be the 'Y'-shaped trench at the bottom of this map, though they don't always run in order.

kemmelextract_zps988bf1ef.jpg

Here's the 'H Sector' with trenches labelled accordingly as in March 1915. 'H5' did not appear on this particular map, so I've added its location as in accordance with a slightly later dated trench map...

Dave.

post-357-0-29860900-1405204380_thumb.jpg

I suspect that 'H4' may be the 'Y'-shaped trench at the bottom of this map, though they don't always run in order.

The Y shaped trench you mention was 'G4' and 'G4A' (running southwards into 'G3') in post-April 1915 designations.

'H4' latched on to the end of 'H3' at a 90 degree angle. On the map I posted, 'H4' is erroneously labelled 'J1'. ('J1' was actually the (unnamed on the extract I posted) trench immediately behind 'H4' and is labelled more-or-less correctly on the extract that you posted)

Dave

That's great, Dave. Thank you very much.

Edited to add: It's now allowed me to place this new sap which was dug in August 15.

newsap_zpsb1ca39c9.jpg