Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Royal Irish Fusiliers

Guest 2contemptable

Guest 2contemptable

I am currently researching the 9th Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers and would be grateful for any photographs, or any material especially of Irishmen within the battalion.

Many thanks.

2c ... have a side-interest in 9th RiR.Fus.

Their war diary for 1st July 1916 is available on the net; plus a browse for the words 'Brew Royal Irish Fusiliers' will throw up a very interesting site.

The war diary can be found by keying in webmattersfrance royal irish fusiliers.

Hope this helps. Will keep eye out for you.

Des

Not to put too fine a point on it but it would be nice to know if any of this is any use to you. If you've e'mailed people off forum, fine. If not, please have the courtesy to acknowledge that someone has made the effort to reply.

It may be of NO use to you whatsoever but I am getting rapidly pissed off with people who seem to treat the hand of friendship offered on this forum with contempt.

Quite frankly, this is becoming all too frequent.

Not to put too fine a point on it but it would be nice to know if any of this is any use to you. If you've e'mailed people off forum, fine. If not, please have the courtesy to acknowledge that someone has made the effort to reply.

It may be of NO use to you whatsoever but I am getting rapidly pissed off with people who seem to treat the hand of friendship offered on this forum with contempt.

Quite frankly, this is becoming all too frequent.

des, who's upset you today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enoch

Guest 2contemptable

Des

I am extremely sorry but as you might see from my member profile I am new to the forum and therefore relatively unfamiliar with its etiquette. I do apologise for any offence I have caused you, or anyone else. I have thanked people off-forum and I am very grateful for the help and assistance which members of the forum have been good enough to give me. This oversight of mine really is'nt anything to get "pissed off" about. Might I suggest some Vallium?

2c - you've been a member since the start of September. It is now October 22.

I learned to say 'cheers' when someone replied to my first post.

Over. Made my point.

Cheers - enjoy yourself.

Guest 2contemptable

Des

As I explained in my e-mail my FIRST post was made yesterday. I am sorry to say that I cannot compete with your incisive wit as you function on an intellectually superior universe that is County Antrim. I trust that your condition will improve with therapy.

Roger out.

Excellent depiction of Co. Antrim. You're growing on me.

Cheers Roger

des

Guest 2contemptable

Well Des,

I will keep my eye out for any material relating to the 12th Rifles and any other men from the Braid area. I have SDGW if you need it, or perhaps you already own one. I also have a report on recruiting in Ireland from TNA in which the locals in Ballymena were criticised for their lack of respect in 1918 for refusing to uncover when the National Athem was played at a recruiting meeting, If thats any use?

So let's start again!

I have quite a few men who ended up in 9th RIF when the NIH were drafted in. If that's of any use.

Never heard the National Anthem story and I'd love to see it. Ballymena people refusing to take their hats off for the anthem? Been right through all the newspapers from 14-18 and can't say there's any record of this.

Was it some form of political protest by Unionists?

By the way if you tried the other sites recommended, were they any good to you?

Now we've had a 'fair dig' at each other, I'm happy to have received something worthwhile out of it.

Des

Guest 2contemptable

Des

I had been through the other sites, the one containing the war diaries was compiled by a guy I used to work with and he now lives in France. The other one on Major Brew I discovered some time ago and the author has also written a book. There is also some material on him in the Royal Irish Fusiliers papers at PRONI.

The Ballymena story seems to be that things ended as they had begun. At the beginning of the war Unionists walked out of church when the National Anthem was being played this happened in Belfast and Lurgan. They were protesting at the fact that the King had signed the Home Bill creating the Act.

The recruiting report on Ireland in 1918 is none too flattering towards the North or the South. I'll dig it out and get it to you.

2c.

• 1 year later...

Has your research on the 9th bat Royal Irish Fusiliers come up with any info on the men from Lurgan Co Armagh, my grandfather Thomas Lyness inlisted at Brownlow Castle along with his cousin Francias McKerr and brother in law James Jones, sadly Francis and James were both killed July 1916.

Douglas.